Did some self portraits yesterday...

Parkerman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
None of my color shots came out that well. So here are some black and white ones.. well.. and sepia. Any suggestions and such would be great. In the processing of them. I was going for the more light/dark look. So if you feel that some of the white is blown out or vice versa... good.. lol.

011708_0232c.jpg

011708_0231cc.jpg

011708_0234c.jpg

011708_0235c.jpg

Thanks
- Parker

I definitly like #1 and #2. I think what I most like is the way you have positioned yourself in the shots. That's a cool wooded structure you've got there. It would be nice to see some close up shots as well, especially because the wood background would be pretty cool.

I like the style of these but I they aren't all in focus. Other then that, I like them.

I like the style of these but I they aren't all in focus. Other then that, I like them.

The last one is the only one that might not be.. but a 100% crop shows that its pretty good. Might be off slightly.. But i set the camera up to continuous focus so that i could run up to the barn and it focus on me. Did it with a 10 second timer. There were some that werent in focus.. But.. I didnt even bother with them.

From what i can tell though they are pretty well in focus.. But.. it could possibly be my eyes going out on me.

Oh, and it was my grandfathers barn that i took the pictures in.

Great series! Such a cool spot

I really like the first one, the door frames you well!

The first one actually reminds me of an album cover. Just has that feel to me about it. Heh, now if I would have had my acoustic leaning up against the barn.. That would have been cool for a cover if i hit it big.. haha.

Stop trying to look so serious. It's silly and robs the shot of any real emotion.

And I see Le Penseur is making a cameo in #4.

Stop trying to look so serious. It's silly and robs the shot of any real emotion.

And I see Le Penseur is making a cameo in #4.

lol. What can i say.. I was thinking what shot do i need to do next..

I had some of me smiling, they just didnt seem to turn out aswell as the others. Either i wasn't in the right position or my head was turned wrong to where it mad it look goofy.

I was trying to go for a more rugged look at the time. That was a torn up jacket that i was holding, but those pictures didnt turn out well either.

I appreciate the C&C everyone.. Heh.. I need all of it that I can yet.

Alright, so I went back and played with 3 of the pictures cause Max made me realize that i wasn't smiling in any of those.. lol

011708_0236c.jpg

011708_0242c.jpg

011708_0243c.jpg

Also.. Joanna mentioned closer shots.. well.. There's 2.. lol.

lol. What can i say.. I was thinking what shot do i need to do next..

I had some of me smiling, they just didnt seem to turn out aswell as the others. Either i wasn't in the right position or my head was turned wrong to where it mad it look goofy.

I was trying to go for a more rugged look at the time. That was a torn up jacket that i was holding, but those pictures didnt turn out well either.

I appreciate the C&C everyone.. Heh.. I need all of it that I can yet.

Out of everything you posted, I think #2 in the second post is the best, if a little soft on the face. A lot of guys make the mistake of thinking they need to try and look very serious when they're being photographed (or taking self-portraits in this case). It rarely turns out well. Unless you're acting out some role you've defined for a concept shot, forget about being serious and just relax, especially if the setting, like this farmhouse, has some personal significance. It's a self-portrait simply for the sake of taking a self-portrait. Bare all. That is the hardest part, though. It's hard enough when you're shooting a portrait of someone else...it can be very intimidating. It's just you...and them. But doing an honest self-portrait requires you to be alone with yourself, which I think is much harder.

I like the doorway, I just don't like the pretend-serious. You don't have to smile, but don't try to act anything out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back