Did you get or gift anything photography related for Christmas?

I got a nice gift card from the other site so I put a lot of that into my return to fly fishing and fly tying. MLW got me a couple books and two cool pairs of socks (trout and salmon motifs). She’s supposed to be ordering the photo gift tomorrow (paycheck synchronization) — a Flashpoint two moonlight set. It’s time I learned how to shoot portraits.

Edit: When we got home, there was a box at the door: present from son #1 - a sous vide cooking thingie!

I still get packs of...hey, wait a minute...no one got me film this year! :mad-44: They'd better make up for it for my birthday!

I’ll take care of it, hon.

Last edited:
Bought myself a new lens. Olympus 40-150 f/2.8 Pro. I would like to say that I now have all the lenses I need but I have said that before.

Bought myself a new lens. Olympus 40-150 f/2.8 Pro. I would like to say that I now have all the lenses I need but I have said that before.

Think we've all said that before.

I gave a number of photo-related gifts. A photo book on an African photo safari I did to Botswana in July. A "2017 in Photos" book to my wife--our year in photos--a traditional Christmas gift that I give her every year. I shot a birthday party for my mother-in-law as a birthday/Christmas gift.

I got: a small, portable projector (which I'm going to use for a photo meet-up group I'm in to display photos at meetings and workshops), a superb book by Pete Souza of the best of his work from 8 years as the official WH Photographer, and my wife (who is an interior designer/decorator) is going to take 20 of my photos and get them printed, framed and then arranged on my office wall downstairs.

I gave out 4 silver geletin prints thanks to my bud at the local camera store opening up his basement in his business after hours. It was nerve racking and informative. I then ordered a backordered 80mm Fuji macro from him with cash, he likes cash sales. He has some neat sh** in that basement.

I gave out 4 silver geletin prints thanks to my bud at the local camera store opening up his basement in his business after hours. It was nerve racking and informative. I then ordered a backordered 80mm Fuji macro from him with cash, he likes cash sales. He has some neat sh** in that basement.

Looking forward to seeing your photos with the 80mm.

I have a project in mind for it but no time table on its arrival. I suppose that is their way, quality over quantity, or so I read. Not sure of it's second batch release. They sold out in a few days world wide. Looking forward to it. I will post some test shots for you in regards to swirling bokeh. From what I've seen, it's all about the aperture setting. I've seen some with it and without it. The ones with it are wide open and it's very evident due the high resolution of the glass. I'm thinking f5.6 or smaller will take care of that. Big bonus IMO, is the ability to use the 1.4 TC on it which brings it to f/4 wide open.

I have a project in mind for it but no time table on its arrival. I suppose that is their way, quality over quantity, or so I read. Not sure of it's second batch release. They sold out in a few days world wide. Looking forward to it. I will post some test shots for you in regards to swirling bokeh. From what I've seen, it's all about the aperture setting. I've seen some with it and without it. The ones with it are wide open and it's very evident due the high resolution of the glass. I'm thinking f5.6 or smaller will take care of that. Big bonus IMO, is the ability to use the 1.4 TC on it which brings it to f/4 wide open.

That would be great. I’m putting off making a decision between 80 and the 90 until I get some more info on the 80 from real world photographers.

I forgot to mention the $175 Amazon gift cards. I blew it on TriX, Acros, and a 42" octagon soft box. Tired of the white umbrella throwing light everywhere. Oh I got some fixer checker too. $175 gone in 60 seconds.

I got a free $50 Adorama gc with my 23mm lens purchase. Thinking of using it toward the teleconverter.

The tc1.4 only works with the 50-140, 80mm macro, and the 100-400.

A d7200 arrived yesterday. So far I've charged the batteries and viewed two tutorials. I'm moving up from a d5100, and am stunned by the number of controls and options available. It's going to be fun learning to use the camera. I feel like making this move commits me to improving my photography skills.

GAS
You NEVER have all the lenses that you "need."
There is always one more lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back