DIF

Very nice dragon!

Thanks Kris

how did you even do that? Even at 300 mm I have trouble tracking anything nevermind a dragon fly!.

Practice practice practice

The DIF is quite nice.

Thanks

With a 500mm lens?! Sniper!
Agreed.. that is one of the most remarkable piece of work I've seen here.. You must have been pretty far away, how did you even see it through the viewfinder?

Nominated for POTM october. :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks Raj thta nice of you

Really nice!

Awesome shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweetness!

Thanks

I don't think I'd even attempt that :onthego:

Very nice! And I echo all the comments about tracking with that strong telephoto. The Osprey is not shabby either.

nice shots..

Amazing!!

Excellent capture! Better than any I've ever gotten in flight. I keep trying though.

Love the Osprey!!! Both photos have such beautiful colors to them. Ridiculous tracking on the dragonfly! :icon_thumbsup:

Thanks

As a dragonfly buff myself I'll break his bubble and point out that the species pictured frequently hovers, sometimes seconds at a time. I'm not taking away from the shot, it's fabulous, but getting it is not tracking so much as noticing he's there and aiming and focusing before he moves. That's not putting the photographer down, it's just explaining the technique.

Still QUITE a feat, and it takes a lot of patience to go out there with the intent of shooting dragonflies in flight. And yes, I've several times spent a couple of hours shooting to get 3 or 4 keepers. Yeah, it takes practice. Yeah, you have to know the light and the background (or focus will never hit.) Yeah, you have to know which dragonflies will tend to cooperate (this one and some saddlebags like to hover, most others are nigh impossible to get in flight.) It's not easy, it takes patience, but it's easier than you might think, and it's VERY satisfying when those good ones pop up on the screen when you get home!

As a dragonfly buff myself I'll break his bubble and point out that the species pictured frequently hovers, sometimes seconds at a time. I'm not taking away from the shot, it's fabulous, but getting it is not tracking so much as noticing he's there and aiming and focusing before he moves. That's not putting the photographer down, it's just explaining the technique.

Still QUITE a feat, and it takes a lot of patience to go out there with the intent of shooting dragonflies in flight. And yes, I've several times spent a couple of hours shooting to get 3 or 4 keepers. Yeah, it takes practice. Yeah, you have to know the light and the background (or focus will never hit.) Yeah, you have to know which dragonflies will tend to cooperate (this one and some saddlebags like to hover, most others are nigh impossible to get in flight.) It's not easy, it takes patience, but it's easier than you might think, and it's VERY satisfying when those good ones pop up on the screen when you get home!

Thanks I didn't know that. Next time I'm out I'll wait till they stop and hover

Amazing. I have nominated it for TPOM.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back