diferent exposures = same result

muntean.rafael

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
just took 5 photos : -2; -1; 0; 1; 2 and they look exactly the same! absolutely no difference.why is that?

My guess is you just think you did.

it's really not that complicated... set the camera to -2 ev -> took a photo... set it to -1 - > took a photo ... and so on...

Post the pix with exif data.

What mode are you shooting on? It's possible your camera is auto correcting, changing shutter speed or aperture to correct for the changes you're inputting. If you're trying to take multiple exposures, see if your camera has an autobracket feature ... much easier than individually changing the settings after each picture.

On nikon, if you are in manual mode.. the EV wont change anything... Canon.. can't help you!

You might try reading your manual.. good information in there!

EV Compensation Explained

Yeah that. I bet you were shooting in manual mode.

On nikon, if you are in manual mode.. the EV wont change anything... Canon.. can't help you!

Actually I should modify this statement! The EV will not affect ambient exposure while in Manual mode.. but it will STILL affect TTL flash exposure! ;)

That used to be true, however with the more resent body, (d700) one can use exposure compensation in manual mode. Why , heaven only knows as it doesn't make sense to me. In manual mode it is an easy thing to do.

That used to be true, however with the more resent body, (d700) one can use exposure compensation in manual mode. Why , heaven only knows as it doesn't make sense to me. In manual mode it is an easy thing to do.

Really... my D7000 is much more recent than the D700... and EV does not work in Manual on it! Curious!

cgipson1 said:
Really... my D7000 is much more recent than the D700... and EV does not work in Manual on it! Curious!

It works on my camera in manual. If I meter off of something and set it to 0 then add EC - the meter reading changes. So I set it to +3 and my meter jumped from 0 to the right. It's a PITA to use on manual with my camera because the EC button is used to change aperture in manual mode.

hmmm... interesting.

You'll have to give more details including:

1) What shoot mode you were using

2) What settings you used for each shot (ISO, shutter speed and aperture) (should be stored in each photos EXIF - check the properties of the photo either on the file or in an editing program such as photoshop elements)

3) What (if any) additional lighting gear you used to light the shot or if was purely ambient lighting

It would also be of help if you could show the photos that you took as well.

One thought that comes to mind is if you adjusted the menu options for +- exposure and by accident changed the flash exposure compensation rather than the regular exposure compensation. Changing flash compensation without flash will give you no net difference in the regular camera settings used for each shot.

For Nikon DSLR's that are set to manual mode, adding a + or - EV biases the light meter.
If you dial in +1 EV, when the meter is on the zero mark your photo will have 1 EV more exposure.

Because of variances inherent in a mass produced consumer electronic device like a DLSR camera, you might want to use that feature.

I always set the manual mode EV to +0.7 on my D60, but to -0.3 EV on just 1 of the 4 D90's I had. I found the feature very handy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back