Difference between SLR lenses and dSLR lenses?

bla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

So, I have noticed that it seems a 50mm lens on a 35mm film SLR is not considered to be of the same focal length on a digital SLR? Does anyone know why this is and whether there is a conversion factor?

For example, on Nikon's website: AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G ED Offers the popular 18-55mm focal range for use in a variety of different situations (equivalent to a 27-82.5mm lens in 35mm format).

Thanks!

I see, so if I were to buy a Nikon 50mm lens for a DSLR, then it wouldn't have quite the same effect would it? I should get a 28mm lens to get something of a 50mm effect?

bla said:
I see, so if I were to buy a Nikon 50mm lens for a DSLR, then it wouldn't have quite the same effect would it? I should get a 28mm lens to get something of a 50mm effect?

That's the general idea.

Unless of course you decide to go with a Canon 1d or 5d camera. Then a 50mm is a 50mm. I believe that they are the only full frame sensor cameras on the market.

gryphonslair99 said:
Unless of course you decide to go with a Canon 1d or 5d camera. Then a 50mm is a 50mm. I believe that they are the only full frame sensor cameras on the market.

Only if I win the lottery...and I don't play.. so...

So then a 50mm 1.8 lens is a 75mm on a Nikon digital body...

In that case, if I were to consider going digital, should I still use a 50mm for normal portrait and landscape pictures or should I get a wide prime at 28mm 1: 2.8 to take my shots? My concern with the 28mm is the slower speed, even though I realize that it's actually quite good.

50mm on a 1.6 C/F sensor is pretty much perfect. 28 would be too wide angle in my opinion. I have a 50mm 1.8 Canon lens which I think is great for people

Most reactions

Back