Difference in FINE and Normal?

UrFavSigma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1) Is there a significant difference between Fine and Normal when it comes to printing?

2) If I wanted to print a RAW image at Wal-Mart, would I have to do some sort of converting or editing before taking it to Wal-Mart? Or can I use the file as is to print?

You'll need to convert it either to jpeg or if their printer will take it .tif. .tif files are very high in quality but this will result in high data which Walmart might not be able to deal with (my 645d files when processed as 16 bit .tif are around 250mb each!). You're best bet would be to create a .tif file for your own use and take a seperate highest quality Jpeg to print at Walmart.

you should generally process your raw to some extent anyway

unless you want flat boring images

What camera?

For the Nikon D5100, Fine means JPEGs get compressed 4:1, Normal JPEGs get compressed 8:1, and Basic JPEGs get compressed 16:1.

Raw files cannot be printed. In fact, Raw files aren't even images. They have to be converted to images outside the camera. Fine, and Normal do not apply to Raw image data files, just to JPEGs.

Print labs will specify what file types they accept, and what color space the photos sould be in

Most Wal-Marts use Fuji Frontier inkjet printing machines, so you would want to upload JPEGs in the sRGB color space for printing.

Most reactions

Back