Difference

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hope this is in the appropriate gallery, I don't consider it to be Nature or Wildlife really, and I wouldn't want to bother the mods with moving the thread. Anyways, I am usually not a fan of selective coloring but in this case I think it is relevant to the subject. Also, any tips on leaving both the eyes and nose in focus while still maintaining a greatly OOF background (besides focus stacking?) C&C is greatly appreciated!

Day 55: March 3, 2013 by theofficialtevo, on Flickr

My knee jerk reaction is to say I like the photo, which is good. If I had to point out niggles, they'd be: 1) I'm not sure the selective coloring adds anything; 2) maybe it's just my crappy laptop monitor but it looks like you've lost a fair bit of detail in the white fur.

As for the nose/eyes DoF thing, if I were you, just as a mini-lesson, I'd pull up a DoF calcuator, enter the info that corresponds to that photo (camera model, focal length, focus distance, aperture) and screw around with the parameters until you get a DoF that you know for sure would sharply capture both the nose and eyes. Make a mental note of it, and try a similar photo again. I've done this sort of fail-research-repeat thing several times, and it really helps the concepts to sink in, because seeing is believing.

My knee jerk reaction is to say I like the photo, which is good. If I had to point out niggles, they'd be: 1) I'm not sure the selective coloring adds anything; 2) maybe it's just my crappy laptop monitor but it looks like you've lost a fair bit of detail in the white fur.

As for the nose/eyes DoF thing, if I were you, just as a mini-lesson, I'd pull up a DoF calcuator, enter the info that corresponds to that photo (camera model, focal length, focus distance, aperture) and screw around with the parameters until you get a DoF that you know for sure would sharply capture both the nose and eyes. Make a mental note of it, and try a similar photo again. I've done this sort of fail-research-repeat thing several times, and it really helps the concepts to sink in, because seeing is believing.

I normally use a DoF calculator because I practice zone focusing - I thought of this shortly after posting the thread. This was shot on a 35 so the DoF was much narrower, especially this close up. Detail was lost in the white fur, but I don't mind it too much being that it is a contrasty (mostly)B&W image. I opted for selective coloring because the interest in this subject (imo) is the eyes. Thanks for the feedback!

Also, niggles is a funny word.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back