Different colors in different programs

MACollum

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know that Lightroom has to guess at how to render the pictures from my 6D. It can only attempt to reverse engineer the proprietary algorithms. I like the way Digital Photo Professional renders my pictures better than LR. But DPP is not as user friendly as LR. Even culling is a chore (I take way too many but I'm worried I'll miss a shot).

I've already created a preset in LR that includes my camera profile, process (2012), and bumps to contrast (25), clarity (10), vibrance (10), and saturation (5). But I still can't get it as close as I'd like.

Here is a comparison screenshot:
DPP-vs-LR.jpg

Can anyone tell me what I can change to make the right closer to the left? I'm thinking a little boost in magenta maybe? Any ideas? In this example I actually like the LR version but I'd like to have the choice to apply a preset.

Any other Raw converter application will also render your Raw files a bit differently than either DPP or ACR (LR Develop module).
Each Raw converter application has to reverse engineer the Raw file - except DPP, because DPP is Canon's Raw converter.

Thanks. That is the part I understand. I was hoping someone could help me eyeball the picture and see what I should change. I'm not very good at seeing the colors other than if the WB is off or if there is a lean toward green/magenta. I struggle with correcting these by eye.

I know that Lightroom has to guess at how to render the pictures from my 6D. It can only attempt to reverse engineer the proprietary algorithms. I like the way Digital Photo Professional renders my pictures better than LR. But DPP is not as user friendly as LR. Even culling is a chore (I take way too many but I'm worried I'll miss a shot).

I've already created a preset in LR that includes my camera profile, process (2012), and bumps to contrast (25), clarity (10), vibrance (10), and saturation (5). But I still can't get it as close as I'd like.

Here is a comparison screenshot:
View attachment 131121

Can anyone tell me what I can change to make the right closer to the left? I'm thinking a little boost in magenta maybe? Any ideas? In this example I actually like the LR version but I'd like to have the choice to apply a preset.

Your LR sky has a cyan/yellow cast compared with the DPP version. Alter the white balance to match. If that won't do it you'll have to look at Adobe's HSL tab.
NOTE: You made a Vibrance adjustment in LR. Vibrance is not a photographic characteristic and what that tool does in LR has no corollary in the real world. It is a special effect and should be moved to the effects tab. As it is it's just fauxtog bait. DPP does not have a Vibrance adjustment and I doubt that's due to Canon's failure to be competitive.

-------------------------------------------

Lightroom doesn't have to guess to render the photo. It's not a guessing game. Canon's processing algorithms are Canon's and Adobe's processing algorithms are Adobe's. Neither one is right or wrong or should be considered some kind of target default. They both do an equally good job of mangling photos right out of the box. Adobe does make an effort to emulate the Canon picture styles for users who want that option.

The exercise of comparing results between multiple converters is worth doing as part of an evaluation and selection process if you're shopping for tools. Otherwise it's pretty futile. You should chose the tool you want to use and then make your photo. The photo will be right when you're satisfied. One of the whole points of doing your own raw file processing is to get your results and not the results pre-programed in by these guys:

indians.jpg

You should be able to adjust the same photo in two separate converters and come to a fairly close match without too much hoop jumping:

crimson_glory.jpg

But there will always be subtle differences, for example the wash from the tow in the DPP version is a smidge lighter and less saturated than the Adobe version. DPP's highlights are just a tad brighter. I concentrated on matching the sky. To keep struggling for a closer match would soon become a fool's errand like playing whack-a-mole -- tweak one difference and you'll exacerbate another.

Joe

Last edited:
Your LR sky has a cyan/yellow cast compared with the DPP version. Alter the white balance to match. If that won't do it you'll have to look at Adobe's HSL tab.
NOTE: You made a Vibrance adjustment in LR. Vibrance is not a photographic characteristic and what that tool does in LR has no corollary in the real world. It is a special effect and should be moved to the effects tab. As it is it's just fauxtog bait. DPP does not have a Vibrance adjustment and I doubt that's due to Canon's failure to be competitive.

Going back I can see it. I was looking at the DPP version and thinking it might have been more magenta. That gives me a good place to start. Thanks for that! I'll also play around with no vibrance in LR to keep from adding effects. Later I can add it back if I like the look.

Lightroom doesn't have to guess to render the photo. It's not a guessing game. Canon's processing algorithms are Canon's and Adobe's processing algorithms are Adobe's. Neither one is right or wrong or should be considered some kind of target default. They both do an equally good job of mangling photos right out of the box. Adobe does make an effort to emulate the Canon picture styles for users who want that option.

The exercise of comparing results between multiple converters is worth doing as part of an evaluation and selection process if you're shopping for tools. Otherwise it's pretty futile. You should chose the tool you want to use and then make your photo. The photo will be right when you're satisfied. One of the whole points of doing your own raw file processing is to get your results and not the results pre-programed in by these guys:

Maybe "guess" wasn't the right word. You're right, it is a different means to the same end. Maybe I've hit a slump in my processing where I've learned a couple things that have changed so much (for the better) in my processing and now I'm getting lazy. The volume of pictures I'm keeping (and editing) has increased as I've improved and it's becoming a big job processing. This has helped me to be more ruthless while culling so it's a trade-off :) Also, I just like the default look from the camera (but I need all the help RAW can give me). As soon as I try going to JPG, I get discouraged when I see the pictures and think of how much more easily I could tweak them if they were RAW. If I shoot both, I end up never touching the JPGs (in my mind I'm like, why bother when I can work on them a little and make them that much better).

I like the look of the DPP but it is not nearly as user friendly as LR. I actually use it a lot to resize JPGs and rename my iPhone pictures because it is easier to do in DPP than to import to LR, process, export again, and then remove from LR. I try to keep my JPGs out of LR so I don't get confused. Maybe a workflow improvement to be made there but for now, that's how I do it.

You should be able to adjust the same photo in two separate converters and come to a fairly close match without too much hoop jumping:

I mostly can get close but my eye for subtle differences isn't great so there is still some hoop jumping. Winter is late this year but it's coming so I'll have plenty of time to play with LR and DPP when it's too cold to get out and shoot. I've got a project planned anyway, this might give me a little respite from that or even help out, who knows? Anyway, thanks for the help, I do appreciate the replies!

I actually prefer the way my old D7000 processes JPEG to the way lightroom does. Does that make me a bad person?

I have no problem with DPP except that it take a lot longer to process since you have to do each picture individually and it's not always feasible to apply a recipe to all pictures. I spent a lot of time learning LR so I'm not up to speed on the newest stuff in DPP. I should probably do some more shooting RAW + JPG and try working on getting my shots better in camera. Maybe that's another project for me.

Most reactions

Back