Different exposure...different skin tone?

Mrsforeman1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been looking at different photos where the artist will put bright colors on and purposely overexpose fair-skinned children(white). But I haven't seen this practice with darker-skinned children(black). Does it give the same effect? I've been learning alot by watching what I see on critiqued on here. But, if there is a huge difference, then I need do a lot of research on the best techniques to use on brown to dark-skin.

P.S. I hope that this post was in no way offensive to anyone.

Easy answer is... try it, find out and tell us.

The fact is that darker skin is a touch harder to over expose, but it is possible.

I personally prefer not to overexpose any picture. I prefer to get it as close to "right" as I can. I think a light underexposure is a nicer effect... but not for every pic, just in certain ones where it is the effect that I desire.

I've attempted and will try again. But, I'm not as seasoned as half of these guys(and gals). Thanks for offering what you do know. Any bit of info is more than I started with.

If you don't mind, what is your opinion on the type of colors would you suggest that I use?

If you're going to over expose do so in post processing. Careful control of curves can allow you to retain at least some detail which otherwise would end up white on the picture.

You tend to just get shiny spots. (they are just more noticeable on darker skin)

Try having the light come from some where around 35 to 65 degrees and using a grey card to set your exposure (up or down to your desire).

I have to tell you though that most of the people I know are happy with the tone that they are and wouldn't really want to look lighter or darker. ( in other words being made to look like someone they are not)

HTH

mike

Most reactions

New Topics

Back