DIFFERENT question on weddings

Not very many as they would be training their competition.
Take some nice portraits, and use them as a portfolio. Call some local photographer and discuss with them the possibility of second shooting with them, they will want to see some of your work.
I have trained two people in the last two years, neither had an aggressive enough personality to become a wedding photographer so I cut them both lose after a couple months.

Twinky, PM sent.

Mitica, Read my first post again and see if I have any interest in shooting a wedding any time soon.

Edit* Deleted some stuff since there are a few helpful people on here. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess.

Twinky, PM sent as well.

Sharp Shooter, one thing to keep in mind is that we also have kids reading/posting on this Forum. While I understand now the question at the end for being a joke, I didn't think it was appropriate for our younger readers. Thanks.

I'm sure if our younger readers are surfing the internet, they have indeed seen much much worse than what sharp asked jokingly...

Hey guys, I personally have no interest in shooting a wedding any time soon (within the next few years) but I am curious. With the 372 posts on weddings this past week in this thread alone, everyone suggests to shadow a pro. My question is, how many pros are actually willing (and happy) to let someone do this? Is it ok for the pro to just bring a noob along to someone else wedding?
Define shadowing? Assisting or just hanging out?
I started out as an assistant... Few months ago buddy of mine, who wanted to get into photography, came on the job with me to hangout during portrait session. I know he learned a lot b/c next day we had long discussions but during the wedding, clients didn't even know he was there - he wasn't disrupting at all.
So I guess a lot a depends on the person who is willing to learn as well as who is teaching. :)

I will said that always a good wedding photographer will need an assistant to be on two differents locations at the same time on my case I have a photography student who is my assistant when I on the Bride house taking the Before wedding photos. He is at the grooms house doing the same. So we can be in two places at the same time and bring more diversity to the customer. Now if the photographers will allow you as shadowing everything depend in how is doing the business around your area and if the photographers are having their own assistants already

Unfortunately, I had to learn on my own and that is why I choose not to do weddings. The "pros" in my area are very territorial and they didn't want to show the potential future competition (me) how to do anything. I had to learn on my own. It would be nice to have someone show me the ropes. Because of that experience, I feel I am more welcoming to people who want to watch me do seniors and families.

Went to your same situation but what you can do is get resources from different workshops like Doug Gordon and get involve with asociations like WIPPI http://www.wppionline.com/
or ppa Professional Photographers of America
and as I mention before instead going and practice on the wedding ask one of your friends to be you models and practice with them

Most reactions

New Topics

Back