Digital advice

WoodsLady

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am interested in selling some of my photos. I was once told people tend to steal others work. Does anyone have any knowledge or experence or tips about this? I know they told me to put my name on my pics. Is this good advice? Also they said something about a right click blocker if I am remembering correctly.If so is your siganture better than your typed name? What are some pros and cons?
thanks so much

if its on the web it can be stolen. you can right click protect, but people will always be able to steal the immediate data they can see on their screen.

i like a typed sig, computerized cursive seems cheesy, and i don't have a good real sig. to put in shots.

newrmdmike said:
if its on the web it can be stolen. you can right click protect, but people will always be able to steal the immediate data they can see on their screen.

i like a typed sig, computerized cursive seems cheesy, and i don't have a good real sig. to put in shots.
If its stolen like that isnt the quality way reduced?

what is the advantage to your name on a pic, cant they just crop or remove it?
also art gallery's that have physical stores and show their stuff online how are they protected?
thanks

You could put only low resolution smallish images on the web with instructions on how to get better quality ones. Anybody who will grab these web ones would not likely pay you for the better ones and any of their clients who will use the grabs would not likely want to pay either.

I don't like watermarking image on the web...I think it hurts the image...which would hurt sales.

I don't think I've ever had anything of mine 'stolen'...so maybe I'd feel differently if I had...but I don't think that this is something to really worry about. There are billions of images on the internet...the chances of someone stealing yours, rather than buying them...is very slim.

If its stolen like that isn't the quality way reduced?
If you are smart about how you put your images on the web...then yes.
Monitor displays are about 72 pixels per inch...so a good sized image on the web only need to be 800x600 pixels. Good quality prints need about 300 pixels per inch...so an 800x600 pixel image is about a 2.6 x 2 inch print. Why would anyone steal an image to make a 2" print?

Also, when I upload an image to the web...I set the JPEG compression at about half quality...which greatly reduces the file size. It would also make it less useful for any potential thieves...but it still looks good on a screen.

So my advice is to not worry about it. Post your low resolution JPEG images on the internet and if someone wants to buy it...then sell them a print or a high resolution file.

could'nt you also jsut send thema pysical print (one) with better quality, then if they want a good size one sell that to them, if they scan it and whatnot let them go to that much trouble

mikes right about the printing scanner, however. . . i know a guy that get get good 4x6 prints from 400x600 images.

the guy who wrote that book digital negatives can print 100 pixels an inch, while thats not his preferable resolution he can do it . . .

so if someone really knows their stuff they can get decent 4x6's from web images.

----but i doubt many people can do that----

finally i wouldn't give them high res shots, because with 800x600 they can email, post online, dvd slideshows, etc with no prob. i feel like iyour keeping honest people honest by not giving them high res files. . . while they may scan from prints at least they won't have the same quality print. but if they are honest they will buy it and thats more money for you

Most reactions

Back