Digital Camera Recommendations

brklynside

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I've saved a bit and I'm now ready to buy my first digital camera. I'd love to hear some recommendations from the list. I plan on using the camera a lot in small clubs shooting bands, as well as in just about every other way (building shots, nyc shots, etc., etc.). I can spend around $600 (and will even go higher if it makes that much of a difference quality-wise).

Please pass along your thoughts. I'd love to get something that can be used "professionally" as well as for fun.

Thanks,
Chris

i dont have a great deal of advice for ya .. but i'd wanna make sure the camera is a digital SLR .. i would check prices on ebay and b&h photo ... i might even consider a used camera :D ... good-luck

Two sites that I used when researching my digital camera were www.computers.com in the digital camera section and http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/. The first one gives pro's and con's of most cameras and a detailed list of specs.

If I was buying a new camera I would get one of the following:
fujifilm finepix s7000
Canon EOS 300D *digital rebel*
Sony DSC-F828

I was going to argue Dew's point about the SLR but I see you want to use it professionally so she's right.
I have just purchased a Canon G3 which Im currently in lust with but if you do have money to spend and want the best then yeah go for an SLR.
The Canon 10D is apparently fantastic.

Thanks. I'm gonna look into that G3. It's more in my price range. Although I'd love get a 'professional' camera, that D10 runs around $1400 and I just don't have that kinda cash.

The G3 appears to be around $450 - right in my range.

I want to get the nikon d100... but don't do anything untill after Thanksgiving retailers always have realy big sales after t-day.
nikon

The Sony F-717 is in your price range, and has a Pro quality Zeiss lense that zooms out to 2.4 200mm. I was first introduced to this camera by a Professional photographer who showed me two 11X17's, one from 35mm pro Nikon equipment, the other a F-717 and ink jet printer. I could not tell the difference betwwen the two. After reading many post, I believe this is about the best that can be done on our budget, I have had mine for a year now, and it has been a great camera, very sharp lens and can be used in manual mode, which I use quite often. The new Sony 828 is higher priced, and I know nothing about it, but I have heard that screw on attachments may not be used with it??. With my 717 I use typical 58mm screw on filters, and have a 1.7 extender. Also new equipment has bugs to be worked out, My 717 was one of the first out, and then I had to send it back to the factory to be reprogrammed, shortly after I purchased it. However, it was express shipped both ways, I had it back in four days. There may be other options, but the 717 is a great camera, I don't think a few extra hundred bucks is going to get you much more, untill you get into the SLR, and then you have to get a good lense, which will cost more than the camera. I doubt that a cheap SLR will come with much lens,

Good Luck

I too would agree that the F717 is a great choice. It has a fairly decent optical zoom lense, a focus ring on the barrel of the lense which I really like better than pushing buttons, and a great macro setting, not to mention a zeiss lense which is the key element.

I've had mine for about a month and love it! Ihad the dsc s-85 before that and it was nice as well.

If you're not into Sony, the Dimage 7hi is nice. Might be out of your price range though, haven't looked at the price in a while.

brklynside said:
Thanks. I'm gonna look into that G3. It's more in my price range. Although I'd love get a 'professional' camera, that D10 runs around $1400 and I just don't have that kinda cash.

The G3 appears to be around $450 - right in my range.

That's a great camera. I've read the reviews and can't see you going wrong with it. My brother had the G3 and loved it (we now have the 10D, but he thought that the G3 took better pictures in a lot of ways).

He spend countless hours researching the perfect Point & Shoot and went the G3 route. No regrets.

kafene.

brklynside said:
So I've saved a bit and I'm now ready to buy my first digital camera. I'd love to hear some recommendations from the list. I plan on using the camera a lot in small clubs shooting bands, as well as in just about every other way (building shots, nyc shots, etc., etc.). I can spend around $600 (and will even go higher if it makes that much of a difference quality-wise).

Please pass along your thoughts. I'd love to get something that can be used "professionally" as well as for fun.

Thanks,
Chris

Check out www.nyip.com , they have a warning not to buy digital cameras anytime soon.

because there is a price war coming up soon or something like that. That you should wait to get a good digital camera or you'll kick yourself for getting it ahead of time and getting half the camera you coulda got for hte same money. :0).

I would have to agree with all the above.....I have the fujifilm finepix s 7000....It is an awesome camera....

agirl316 said:
I would have to agree with all the above.....I have the fujifilm finepix s 7000....It is an awesome camera....

Hehe, it looks to be a sweet camera agirl316, I got the s3000, aka 3800. :0) I looked up your camera, the s7000 and it has a ton of extra features mine doesnt, hehe, like unlimited video clips, instead of one minute restrictions, more mp, but I think it englarges the pictures to get its mp size, in reality its just half of what it says, etc, but its still lacking a couple features to be a truely sweet camera, but it is nice. :0). Wish I knew about it when I got mine.

Most reactions

Back