Digital issues.

craig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
craigblank.com
In recent threads I was able to confuse my self by asking the question. Will my most recent (and best work) ever get beyond my 400 dollar ink jet printer? Granted it does a good job but there is no silver involved. Ten buck's says people don't even print their digital photos. What is the point if everyone can see them from the convience of their monitor? Am I settling for less by accepting ink jet prints? The way things are going, I have to force my self to shoot film. Maybe a 1,200 dollar printer is the way to go? HELP :shock:

I make prints for my digital camera. Been using ofots.com for ordering photo quality prints. Personally I do like the quality of ink jet printer. The mini-lab that I use for film just got a professional digital machine that prints up to 16 inch wide prints

As for a high end print, besides the cost of printer there paper and ink/ribbon/toner.

I have an HP jet printer and it does great... I have to agree with the post above that wal-mart does good to. I have also tried Kinko's. You dont have to spend 1200 on a printer to get good prints just shop around but the HP jet printers are great.... :lol:

Today's inkjet printers are cabable of spectacular prints. You should be able to get a printer that will do good prints 8"x12" or smaller for less than $300. Larger size printers will cost you more. Every few months the quality goes up and the price drops.

Most of my photog buddies who shoot color have gone over to printing their own prints with inkjet printers. They shoot MF and LF E6, scan it, and print it at home. They have experimented with different papers, inks, and Photoshop tricks until they know what works for them.

I would have to say that while I can pick out an inkjet print vs a old fashioned color print about 75% of the time, some of my buddies do such a good job that I can never spot the difference. This leads me to believe that it's not a matter of the inkjet printer quality, rather it's the photographer's skills in the digital darkroom. Extensive knowledge of Adobe Photoshop or similar software is probably necessary for top quality inkjet prints.

I plan on shooting film for the rest of my life, but as soon as I can afford a fancy-schmancy DSLR I'm getting one of those too. No reason you can't be well rounded and do both.

I agree with Matt. I totally love film, but I would like to have a DSLR also. And my Epson printer gives pretty close to photo quality results with the right paper.

Digital really is great, especially for allow you to be very creative while taking pictures without breaking the bank.

I use a 4.2MP camera, nothing great and get wonderful prints off my home printer with no problems. Most times people cannot tell the difference.

The biggest tip I can give you is this... get a good printer, use the manufacturer inks, and the manufacturer papers. No generic staples brand, etc. That make a huge difference. Red River Paper makes some good paper as well but still not as good as the manufacturer. Overall you need a matched set.

As for printers under $300 the best printer you can get is the Canon i950. True it doesn't have a fancy lcd or memory card reader, but that is because the money is in the printer and not the gizmos.

Most reactions

Back