Digital Macro

jamesino

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is the definition of macro photography in digital photography? If I use a telephoto lens and take a shot that fills up the entire picture from a far distance away, is that considered macro?

Macro means a 1:1 representation of said object on the sensor. No telephoto will get this magnification from far away.

Special lenses achieve this effect. THey are called macro lenses.

Macro means a 1:1 representation of said object on the sensor. No telephoto will get this magnification from far away.

Special lenses achieve this effect. THey are called macro lenses.

I have a macro mode on my camera that seems to get pretty good closeup details. I'm not sure if it's 1:1 representation though. You'd probably get much better effects with a real macro lense but you can definitely focus up close better and get more detailed shots of little things with macro mode on my camera. No idea how that works though...

Yes but your Tamron will be optimised for long distance focusing, were as a true macro is designed to give it's best performance at it's nearest focus point.

fatsheep it's unlikely to be 1:1 if you phrase it like that. Macro Mode? I take it it's a point and shoot. Point and shoots have small sensors with huge magnification ratios. Assuming the sensor is 1cm wide (probably very close) if it's true 1:1 you should be able to focus the image close enough so the 1cm area covers the entire picture.

Most reactions

Back