Digital MF - my first taste

I

Iron Flatline

Well, I finally got my grubby little hands on a dMF camera. And you know what? It's a little daunting at first.

I am renting the Leaf AFi 5 with the "small" Leaf Aptus 22 back. Link to the Leaf site. It has a 36x48mm sensor, so twice the size of a Full-Frame 35mm equivalent SLR sensor. It can output 16-bit TIFF files that are 99 Megs a pop. Ouch. There are number of other formats and compression, making the shot-to-print process that much easier and more exact in terms of colors.

The whole thing is obviously a pro camera, and comes with features that I haven't even seen on Canon's 1Ds Mk III - which I rented last week. For one thing, the LCD is also a touch screen, and allows for some really smart features. You can set the White Balance and color temperature by touching an area on the image, and using that as your neutral grey - which then sets it for the rest of the shoot. There's good file systems, there's the ability to do some basic editing in-camera, and a host of other features. I was shooting at ISO 25, for instance.

Yes, a camera is ultimately just a camera... and to be candid, that becomes apparent the first time you look through the viewfinder. Any secret thoughts and hopes that might have been harbored about "the gear" somehow making you a better photographer are dashed instantly. What you see is exactly what you're pointing the camera at. Your neighbor does not suddenly look like George Clooney, and the hill does not turn into a Yosemite vista. The only difference is that you know a good shot will be richly detailed and can be printed at a size previously impossible.

But WHAT a viewfinder it is! I was using the waste-level viewfinder, which means you look down into the camera... and then see everything mirror-reversed. This takes some getting used to. Composition becomes a different matter though, because you become slightly divorced from the actual scene, and can concentrate on the individual elements. The image is square, but the sensor is rectangular, so it takes some approximation. There are lines that help.

I had it on a tri-pod. My goal is sharpness in low light, so that is part of my mission. I guess it is possible to shoot hand-held, but this is a big camera. It's bigger than the biggest SLRs. And frankly, holding a piece of equipment that costs $25,000 in the smallest version (up to $50,000 if you get the new big-MP ones) is very disconcerting. In London is a restaurant near all the ad agencies where photographers often go. I though it was an affectation to see people's H2 Hasselblads next to them at table, but I'm learning that a piece of equipment (which in Europe costs 50% more!) could walk off in a purse is cause enough to keep it real near by.

The camera has auto-focus, but I found it annoying. First of all, it hunts like a DEA beagle. And secondly, when you're shooting an urban landscape like I was, focus isn't exactly hard. The giant viewfinder (you could lose your car keys in it!) makes focusing by sight fairly easy... and shooting at f/11 and beyond offers a huge margin of error.

Ok, more on Thursday. I have it for three more days, but got whomped by a lot of meetings tomorrow... but the next day I cancelled a business trip and kept my schedule empty, so I will hit the countryside with this big camera.

Although one question I will need to answer is whether the work I'm doing can't be achieved with a Canon 1Ds as well... the answer is sitting in a 16-bit RAW file on a CF card right now...

I'll be awaiting your final analysis.

popcorn_cola.gif

I want to see your shots with this thing!

Preferrably not in the current 99MB TIFF version...lol.

I bet there's a certain rush to using such a wonderful piece of equipment. Please tell us how everything goes!!!

I will be happy to post something, but I have to make one comment: the only reason to work with a camera like this is in pursuit of a large, detailed print. Anything I post as a JPG on the web will border on the irrelevant. There will be virtually no visual proof of the camera's ability visible at 800x533 pixels and 72 dpi.

It's about the print on the wall, I'm really feeling strongly about that these days. All this web stuff is fun for my photoblog and street photography, but the print matters.

I'd like to see a web sized version, and a small section at 100% to really see what the lenses can do.

I will be happy to post something, but I have to make one comment: the only reason to work with a camera like this is in pursuit of a large, detailed print. Anything I post as a JPG on the web will border on the irrelevant. There will be virtually no visual proof of the camera's ability visible at 800x533 pixels and 72 dpi.

It's about the print on the wall, I'm really feeling strongly about that these days. All this web stuff is fun for my photoblog and street photography, but the print matters.

That is true, but I think we can still get an idea of the colors and dynamic range of the shot that this camera can produce. (depending on what you photograph of course).

:)

Well, at this point it's raining hard here in Berlin. Hopefully my day out-of-office tomorrow will be better. At least the current forecast bodes well.

All that being said, agreed with and appreciated ... I think many of us are looking for a verbal comparison and summary of your take on a digital MF versus a digital 35mm format.

Gary

Well, I'm not getting the time with it I would like, but here are two images, with two out-takes.

The first is my dad... "take a picture of me with that thing!" The green hue is actually due to the sun-umbrella under which we're sitting at lunch an hour ago. Today was high overcast, a single thin layer that works like a giant diffuser. Not bad for photography.

ISO 100, f/2.8 at 1/570th of sec, 80mm lens

RR.jpg

Below please see 100% crop of his eye. Because I couldn't use the tripod, I had to shoot very wide open. THe DOF is extremely shallow, very surprising, on a 35mm equiv I usually get at least the ears in focus, but with a camera like this it's already OOF at the edge of the eye wrinkles.

RR%20eye.jpg

Here is a second shot, which is more relevant, and shows the sensor's prowess.

Shot ISO 100 at 1/25th at f/11 - it was too windy, and f/22 would have meant a very long exposure time. 80mm lens, which is the 35mm SLR equivalent of a 50mm lens... but the sensor has its own crop factor to full MF, so not sure what the equivalent focal length is.

Unfortunately I did not rent a polarizer, which would have been vital for this shot. But I am extremely impressed by the sensor - both the detail it captures, and the dynamic range.

RAW this file is 4008x5344 pixels, 16-bit color depth, and 41.49 Megs large. At 240 ppi that makes a 22x16 inch print (56x42 cm). And up-rezzing by a factor of 2x is never considered a problem. That's some big pictures!

Here's the shot:

Tree%20and%20sign.jpg

I don't know how to high-light the sections I cropped in the shot, but I can explain.

The first one is quite impressive. My Canon would have made a pasty mush out of these leaves and branches, but there is good detail.

Tree%20Detail%204M.jpg

The second image clearly illustrates how much shadow detail there is, although on a monitor that is hard to see. A good printer (well profiled) can do wonders with this data:

Tree%20Detail%20Betreten.jpg

And finally, at the top edge, where you would expect things to get a little softer, the lens (optimized for digital) holds up quite well - both in terms of sharpness, and the ability to capture contrast and color detail in the branches.

Tree%20Detail%20edge.jpg

Now keep one thing in mind: nothing was done to these shots yet. A little basic work could generate some breath-taking files.

Not bad!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back