Digital mirrorless Leica "SL" (rumor)

Solarflare

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
(High credibility rumor) The new Leica mirrorless non-rangefinder camera could be named "Leica SL"! - mirrorlessrumors

- Looks like a Leica SL (film SLR), or "a bulkier Fuji X-T1 with simplified layout"
- Sensor much like Leica Q (other rumors before talked about amazing lowlight performance)
- In Body Stabilization (!)
- Electronic Shutter
- High-Res EVF (probably the same as Leica Q)
- Might not be able to adapt Leica M lenses (I would be really surprised if that was true)
- Can adapt Leica R lenses (yeah well duh - those are SLR lenses)
- Price 8k$ with a Summicron 50mm f2

Yeah, whow, expensive.

Well, its a Leica.

I'm quite amazed they'll have in body stabilization. Thats really not something I would have expected.

I hope this time around they'll allow to switch electronic shutter on or off.

Leica SL system will compete against the Sony A7 system for triple the price! | sonyalpharumors

Dont ask me why Sony Alpha Rumors comments.

Or why Leica Rumors still doesnt: Leica News & Rumors

However they claim that the official launch will be in 2 weeks, thats a new piece of info.

But then again maybe thats just their way of interpreting the mirrorless rumors article which reads "launch in october", which indeed starts in 2 weeks, but it doesnt say "beginning of october", so really thats free interpretation.

Look here! First images of the new Leica SL with lenses!!! - mirrorlessrumors

The Leica SL will be unveiled at 19:30 Berlin time (which is 5 hours from the time of this posting).

Not as pretty as I had hoped. The Leica M, T, Q look prettier. Not as ugly as the Sony A7* cameras, though. And I love the detail with the camera strap holder that wont cut into anyones hand.

The Leica SL will use the T-Mount (of the Leica T). Obviously planned since a long time. Also explains why that mount was so large.

Thus Leica M lenses will be adaptable, too, and the adapter for that is already available ever since they released the Leica T.

That thing is pretty big. I can see their medium format sensor going into that in the coming years.

Good prices on the upcoming Leica SL!!! I think I'll pick up a system.
24-90mm f/2.8~4 ASPH. $4,950

Lens Hood for 24-90mm lens, $255
Leica SL rear lens cap, $48
SL Camera $7,450
Battery Pack, $250.
Leica 4.9 foot HDMI cable, $205
Leica SF 64 flash unit, $745

Leica does not move into other markets ... they just have their own ... Leica market ... they build it, people will come.

dxqcanada said:
Leica does not move into other markets ... they just have their own ... Leica market ... they build it, people will come.

You are right! That round, red Leica badge draws them in like flies to s***.

Good prices on the upcoming Leica SL!!! I think I'll pick up a system.
24-90mm f/2.8~4 ASPH. $4,950

Lens Hood for 24-90mm lens, $255
Leica SL rear lens cap, $48
SL Camera $7,450
Battery Pack, $250.
Leica 4.9 foot HDMI cable, $205
Leica SF 64 flash unit, $745

Thats a bargain!

For that big of a false sense of superiority I'd easily pay double.

Sadly, I've had only one Leica ... the Leica IIf.
Back in the days I wanted an M'something ... never had enough money to throw that away (though they really do make nice stuff), even at cost.

More info: A lot to Leica? Hands-on with the Leica SL (Typ 601)

Apparently theres a total of 9 lenses planned.

The description of the ergonomics frankly sounds rather nightmareish, for example this passage:
The rub is that adjusting a setting requires holding down the button for a second and then using one of the dials. By default, for example, exposure compensation is adjusted by pressing the unlabeled button on the top plate until the adjustment screen appears, at which point you can use the dial to change the EVF. There's no way to directly map exposure compensation to one of the dials.

Steve Huff hasnt handled a SL yet, but is already rather critical of it.

Amusingly he still has missed the main issue: the SL is a HUGE HEAVY BLOCK OF METAL.

As the picture from the Ming Thein pre-review clearly show, the camera with the only available lens (24-90mm f2.8-4.0) is larger than a Nikon D810 with an AF-S 24-120mm f4 VR convenience zoom.

Given Steve Huffs comments for example on the Nikon Df, I think its thus very unlikely that Huff will ever warm up with the Leica SL

Most reactions

Back