Digital photography software for creating ID cards

crisp24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,
I work at a large (1500 students, 500 staff) school. Every student and staff member must have their photo taken (passport size) when they begin at the school.

Recently my department has been doing this individually with a Nikon DSLR and then editing/labelling the photos for storage. It's laborious and difficult because we are in and out of our office all the time.

Does anyone know of any software we could use, perhaps with a stationary DSLR attached to a stationary laptop, where the student/staff member can take the photo themselves, label it with their name/ID number, and leave the rest for us to sort out later?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

C

Does anyone know of any software we could use, perhaps with a stationary DSLR attached to a stationary laptop, where the student/staff member can take the photo themselves, label it with their name/ID number, and leave the rest for us to sort out later?
I don't know the name of any, but there are some additional concerns that I think you should consider.

Why not make this part of a "security" system? You don't need to add everything in all at once, but eventually someone is going to realize the need for door security, in which case the RF tags will be only a simple step.

You don't need a DSLR to make the photos. An inexpensive video camera mounted to a counter will do nicely.

Forget editing. If the subject blinks or doesn't like his photo, just do it again.

Also, if your school uses a mainframe system with ethernet connectivity, just use the mainframe to store the photos. Someday you will be thankful you have all that saved somewhere secure.

I work at a University. I'll check with my friend who runs the department that does exactly what you are looking for.

They simply have a PC with a small PC camera on top that takes your photo,
they adjust it on the screen
then the very specific (and I assume expensive) printer prints the image and writes to the magnetic strip on the back. It can also do RFID cards. It also doubles as a credit card with our university credit union.

The data then drives the security system for opening doors, etc but is not the system that handles that. The information of the card user is sent to the security system, time tracking system, etc.

As a former Security professional at a very large company I'm cringing badly. You really, really should have someone verify the identity of the person and take the photo into a secure storage media/system.
"Hey Tom, take my Final Exam for me Please? Just go to the ID machine and make an ID with your photo and my name so you can sign-in for the Exam."!!!! Extreme thought but that's the way security people think..

Most reactions

Back