Digital SLR help.

Woosey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey

Bit of a background first -

Ive currently got a Casio P-600 digital camera and a Nikon FE2 35mm camera. After using the Casio for a while, Ive decided i preferred using my FE2, so Ive started to look at buying a digital SLR.

I take all sorts of different pictures, and i would class myself very much as a casual photographer, i do however enjoy taking my pictures!

I only have about £450 to spend, however i am planning on buying more lenses when i can, so don't worry about that. Ive been looking at the Nikon D50, which does seem fairly good value for money, ok it has a plastic body (not great) however for the amount you pay i guess its a bit much to be expecting full on metal!

Anyone got ideas what i could get for around that kind of money? Or comments on the D50?

Thanks

Chris

The D50 is a great camera and you can't go far wrong with Nikon. I'd say it's worth looking at the Canon 350D as well as it's similarly placed in the market. Having been a Nikon and Contax guy for years, I've actually decided to go with the 350D as it feels better to me and I think Canon are probably winning the digital race at the moment by a hair's breadth.

Rob

hey!

Well i went to check out the 350D Canon today and found that i dont like the lens that comes with it at all (the focusing ring is tiny and it feels to plasticy and cheap):grumpy: (lens 18-55mmcanon lens)

have others had that same experience?

wonder whether its worth it to buy the body abd then invest in another lens...:meh: The one that comes with the 20D is heaps better. 17-85mm canon lens

so Rob youre a prime lens guy then, but unfortunatly i cant afford that way, is it wise to buy the 350D body and then get the lens that comes with the 20D?

the thing is here in Germany there is ony 30 Euro difference between buying only the body and buying body plus lens that comes with it! i guess its good to start up with but the point is it would be wise to invest in a better lens...does someone konw how much the lens is to buy new, the one that comes with the 20D, or even second hand (17-85 mm i think)

Get the Kit lens cause its cheap, but they really arent good...

Id say go for the 350D, 8megapixels, and fast as a cheater on fire being chased by a car...

You can look all the lens prices up on B&H, but generally you can afford prime lenses - the first one is the $100ish 50mm f1.8. Ok, maybe not the 600mm f4, but the shorter lengths are very affordable.

Rob

Check out the thread that JonMikal wrote about the differences of a D50 and D70s. Seems like the D50 is a whole lot of camera for the cash. I am a cannon fan though and they make wonderful cameras as well. You can't go wrong with either of them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back