Digitalis

RxForB3

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I believe this plant is of the genus Digitalis (commonly called Foxglove). I'm not entirely sure, though. If it is, it's particularly interesting to me as a pharmacist considering that this is apparently the origin of the drug Digoxin...

As always, I would love thoughts/suggestions and hope this isn't too many photos in one post.

Bells are Ringing by RxForB3, on Flickr

IMG_9477 by RxForB3, on Flickr

3. An abstract from the plant.

Untitled by RxForB3, on Flickr

RxForB3, you are right, this is the species known as the Common Foxglove - Digitalis purpurea. I like the first one and the abstract, well, it is interesting. So know we have some idea of the origin of your screen name "as a pharmacist" - Rx...;)

Heh, you got it. Before I became a pharmacist, I got a degree in music. Organ specifically. My hobby/addiction before photos was collecting/playing old Hammond organs in hopes of one day owning a Hammond B3 organ. Hence...prescription for B3. It's also a play on vitamin B3, otherwise known as niacin.

I see what you’re trying to do with number 3. But i think you should of tried to zoom into the flower, to get more colour

Your lens is capturing this flower very nicely. But the composition includes too many competing elements in my eyes. Here's what I would do:

$7491179578_ab435d69e8_o.jpg

I like the abstract, go with that idea and see what you can create.

If you don't mind my asking... I checked out the EXIF on flickr and am assuming you did a diagonal pan to get the effect?

Thanks for all the comments. Yes, it was a quick diagonal pan. Looking at the photo more, I think I may have been mistaken to include it on this thread. I believe it was actually an abstract from the other flower I posted yesterday.

Jaemie, I do like the crop, but I think I like it in addition to the crop I have. I'm debating making the trip back out there tonight, so maybe I'll do another attempt at photographing that close in the first place rather than having to crop to that.

Jaemie, I do like the crop, but I think I like it in addition to the crop I have. I'm debating making the trip back out there tonight, so maybe I'll do another attempt at photographing that close in the first place rather than having to crop to that.

I think you're right to re-shoot closer. My crop was just an example of what I might do, and not a proper edit. Have fun. :) (I'm heading out the door in an hour or so to do the same with a plant, btw!)

Last edited:
Interesting set. Picture #1 would really benefit being in the portrait orientation. As it stands now it's just not a very balanced composition. Picture #2 is just that much better then Pic #1. Jaemie's crop goes one step further, and is a rock solid composition.

Tons of foxgloves around now. In addition to some comments above I would suggest getting down lower so you can see farther into the flower itself.

Heh, you got it. Before I became a pharmacist, I got a degree in music. Organ specifically. My hobby/addiction before photos was collecting/playing old Hammond organs in hopes of one day owning a Hammond B3 organ. Hence...prescription for B3. It's also a play on vitamin B3, otherwise known as niacin.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Did you ever get the B3? I just had a quick look on Google and it looks like quite the machine, if that is the correct word.

WG

Still haven't been able to afford a B3, but I have an A100 which is essentially the same thing, but a different style cabinet. One of these days I'll take a photo of the innards. It's really a testament to American craftsmanship!

Most reactions

Back