Digitizing 8mm Film?

Cortian

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't know if this belongs here. If not: Mods, please move.

A close friend, knowing of my new hobby, asked me:

My brother called me a few minutes ago. He is cleaning out his basement and came across 40-50 small reels of 8mm film along with a projector from the 1960s.

Do you know of any source who has the ability to copy the films to digital media, e.g. a DVD?

I haven't a clue. I'm certain it's possible. I'm wondering what he should be looking for?

Thanks!

Hah! Pasted "convert 8mm cine to digital" into DDG and got all UK references. "Hmmm... Maybe s/cine/film/" That got me N. American references :)

I kind of figured that would be the recommendation I'd get, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thanks.

We do that here at my work here in St. Louis and we do mail order......FYI.....here is our prices.... Tape Transfer Services -
My wife has about (40) 8mm 50' reels. I also use Adobe Premiere Elements to edit and produce burn by own movies for my 4K UHDTV. So what format would you receommend I get it converted too? Does HD make sense or just standard 720x480? Thanks. Alan

We do that here at my work here in St. Louis and we do mail order......FYI.....here is our prices.... Tape Transfer Services -
My wife has about (40) 8mm 50' reels. I also use Adobe Premiere Elements to edit and produce burn by own movies for my 4K UHDTV. So what format would you recommend I get it converted too? Does HD make sense or just standard 720x480? Thanks. Alan

I recommend .MOV files (Full Quality, Uncompressed Video for Editing and Long-term Preservation).

Costco has a film to DVD conversion service.
Services & Pricing: Movie Film to DVD

There are some high end conversion services. But they cost more $

Or he could DIY.
Set up the projector to shoot against a smooth flat white surface.
Shoot the projected image with a video camera.
But this requires that he have or can get a video camera. And it takes time.

BTW, if there is a vinegar smell coming from the film, air it out and get it converted ASAP.
That smell is the film base breaking down.
And the vapor can trigger other film to start to break down.
It is called "vinegar syndrome." Look it up.

Thanks for the heads up, ac12! Forwarded to my buddy.

My father's 16mm film has vinegar syndrome.
The smell is so strong, that I cannot open the plastic bag in the house.
It is like putting your nose over a bottle of vinegar. phew

My father's 16mm film has vinegar syndrome.
The smell is so strong, that I cannot open the plastic bag in the house.
It is like putting your nose over a bottle of vinegar. phew

Oh man does it stink!!! We here at work have to open the door to the lab and put a fan to blow out the stink but then the whole warehouse stinks,,,,,LOL

Most reactions

Back