Dimly lit Churches

kass617

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been volunteered to take pictures at a family member's kid's Baptism. It's at a Greek church, and those in the know KNOW that the lighting in Greek churches (for the most part) sucks.

I tried helping a family member out a few weeks ago, with a similar event in a similar church, and the outcome was dreadful.

I used a D90 the first time, but now I have a D750 with a 24-70mm 2.8... Any suggestions? I also have a 50mm 1.4 and an 85mm 1.8...I have a 35mm DX 1.8 as well.

I have an SB600 with a diffuser, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to flash.

You should clear using the flash with the church.

If flash is not allowed, then take a tripod or monopod for the ceremony. Don't be afraid to boost the ISO.

Yeah, They're cool with the flash, but I'd rather keep it's use to a minimum, because I'm really not that knowledgeable about using one ESPECIALLY in this type of setting.

If I were going to try this, I would mount the flash on a stand located to one side of the group, and flash it through a white umbrella and fire it with my RF transceivers. I would be prepared to move the stand around as required depending on how the people arranged themselves. I might take along a small step stool to give me just a bit more height especially if some people are taller. I would also meet with the folks and the priest to outline what I intended to photograph and what I would like to see everyone do for the photo(s). I would also take a few test shots before the ceremony began to make sure I had the correct settings on my camera.

For the party afterward I would mount the flash in the hotshoe and bounce the light off the ceiling or nearby wall or take along a large white board or two for somebody to hold as a reflector.

And don't forget about outside light if you are anywhere near the golden hour.

Awesome tips. Fortunately for me, I'm a guest at the event, and they were on a budget, so I'm going to shoot some pictures at the ceremony to help them out. When we get to the party afterwards, I'm gonna just try and get a good shot of the baby in the Christening outfit that they could use for a Thank You card, and my job will be done. I'm not gonna do the table to table shots. All the family Group pictures are usually taken before and after the ceremony at the church.

Since you have been to the same church and you can come back before the shoot. What's is the lighting level there? Can you take a meter reading? That would help on how to proceed.

I'm gonna try and get there a little early., but like I mentioned I'm a guest, so my wife and kids are coming too. It's hard to get them anywhere on time, let alone early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you go to the church by yourself before the event? If you can then perhaps take a couple of test shots with various settings. Nothing like a little recon to be ready.

I should have about 20 minutes before the ceremony actually begins... I'll take some test shots, then, while taking family pics before the ceremony begins, I'll get last minute tweaks in.

I sure wish I had a 70-200mm rather than a 24-70mm.

Why the 70-200mm ? You have to be far from the subject? If you can come close the shorter lens is better for low light.

Yeah. I was just thinking that there are moments where it'd be best to keep a distance, but whatever...I'll make it work. I just hope I can get he majority of my shots without the use of flash.

If you use the existing light you'll need to get as much light as possible into the camera; I like to use a sharp prime lens. I've done events, sometimes in low light; I usually try to notice where the lighting looks the best or where I'd be under/in some lighting (although it can probably look brighter than it will actually be for the camera).

I avoid dark parts of the room or corners. If there are windows I'd try to notice where you could stand to get the light coming in and onto the area where they will be standing.

I would recommend this would be better done by an experienced events photographer since the low light can be challenging. Especially if you didn't have a good experience doing something like this before it might be better for the family to make other arrangements. I don't know of anyone hiring a photographer for a baptism, usually people here just take pictures themselves afterwards if there's a family get together not necessarily during the ceremony.

I had a photographer at all my kid's Baptisms...but it isn't in their budget. Catholics usually bang out like 10-15 kids at once...It's more of an event in the Greek church (because they don't do Confirmations, First Communions, etc) where the child is actually submerged in the water and takes his/her first communion. Also, the afterparty is sometimes as big as a wedding and usually in the same venues you'd have a wedding.

This isn't a paying job, just taking some pictures for family. I thought I'd use it as a learning experience and at the same time, hopefully get a couple great shots for them.

Here's a couple examples of what it's like (I own these pics)
IMG_1622.jpg
IMG_1827.jpg

Beautiful church. Hope it goes well.

Most reactions

Back