sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so they aren't dinosaurs, they're Pelicans. But in several of these pictures, it struck me just how much they look like a pterodactyl, only without the weird hornlike thing on their heads. :D

Part 2 of my Beach Birds from our vacation on the coastal Georgia islands. Most of these (all but one, I think) were taken on one day. A day that I wasn't going to DO photography, I was just going to go to the beach and not think about all the birdies. :D
In fact, I left my camera and gear in the car. We got settled in at the beach, and I went to get in the water, when all of a sudden dozens of pelicans show up and start flying around, diving into the water, flying back up out of it, over and over again. Right in front of me, not even 20 yards offshore. I vowed to just watch them and enjoy it, because after all, by the time I went to get my camera and got back, they'd be gone anyway. So I watched. And watched. And watched...and they didn't leave. In fact, by now there were MORE of them, probably 30 or more.

So, I caved. I went and got the camera. And to my surprise, when I got back, they were NOT gone. They stuck around until the tide was so high that it had completely submerged the little sandbar they were using as a "launchpad" and even then, a few of them stuck around, just floating on the water and occasionally diving for fish. It was such a cool thing to watch--even if i *hadn't* gotten pictures. But it was also totally worth the trip back to the car for the camera. :D

1. Looking for a prime spot to dive.

June18_5600editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

2. Incoming...

june18_5567editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

3. DIVE! DIVE!

june18_5596editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

4. The Moment of Impact:

June18_5603editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

5. Success!

June18_5581editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

6. Another dive:

June18_5604editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

June18_5601editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

8. This one was taken on a different day, but it's my favorite Pelican shot of the trip:

June16_4707editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

As always, C&C, general comments and witty banter are all appreciated!! Anything to keep the thread from dying a horrible, untimely death... :D

You're quite right about their looking prehistoric. Very nice captures! My favorites are 3, 6, 7 & 8. :) Oops forgot #4

Last edited:
A popular theory is that dinosaurs (theropods) didn't become extinct, but evolved into birds. So maybe you were actually shooting dinosaurs.
Also, pterodactyls (pterosaurs) are not really classified as dinosaurs.

(sorry, I just back from a week in Drumheller, Alberta...including the Royal Tyrrell Museum)

A popular theory is that dinosaurs (theropods) didn't become extinct, but evolved into birds. So maybe you were actually shooting dinosaurs.
Also, pterodactyls (pterosaurs) are not really classified as dinosaurs.

(sorry, I just back from a week in Drumheller, Alberta...including the Royal Tyrrell Museum)

Aww, c'mon Big Mike, don't confuse me with the FACTS. :lmao:
I was never really very interested in dinosaurs, so I didn't pay much attention to that topic in school, but I think I *did* kinda know that the pterosaurs weren't considered "true" dinosaurs. Still "Pterosaurs Fly Among Us" just didn't have the "ring" I was looking for. :lol:

Great shots - glad you went back for the camera and thanks for sharing. I love the action shots and that last one of the pelican in flight (PIF?), is great.

WesternGuy

Great set Sharon, the action shots are cool :) My fav's are 7 and 8 though, esp. 8, that light is great!

Well done. #8 is $$$.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back