Dirt track, practicing panning :|

What I found help is follow the subject with a lower shutterspeed and get the shoots when hes in the middle of the frame, one you master that you can mess with zooming and rule of thirds

Very nice...

Shooting dirt racing with slow shutters is really tricky.

There's a lot of suspension vertical motion that can muddy the front end.

I think you're choice of SS fit the occasion and I like dirt rooster trails - it compliments the motion

Good work

Rags
this. with dirt bikes there is whole a lot of additional movement not necessarily along the direction of pan (vertical, out of plane, rotations, etc.). it has nothing to do with personal limits or technique, you can only remove one direction of in-plane motion when panning. dropping the shutter speed any further will lead to a whole lot of blur in the majority of shots (I'd venture to guess that you ended up with a whole lot of junked shots with the shutter speed as is!).

IF you really just want that warp speed panning shot, then maybe it's worth slowing the shutter and chasing those one or two instances where you'll happen to catch the bike and rider not moving so much in the other directions. But those shots are perhaps not all that cool in terms of capturing dirt riding. You'll actually see a lot of dirtbike shots at high shutter speed. since the motions with dirt riding are much more complex (it's not just a vehicle blasting down a flat straight), faster shutter speed shots actually give more context to the movement of the bike and rider.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back