Dirty Sensor is getting very frustrating

SeanL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this, if it isn't, could a mod please move it? Anyway, I have a D70, and I've been getting very frustrated with it lately because there seems to always be dust or specs on my sensor, and whenever I try to clean it with the brush I bought, it doesn't seem to help at all, sometimes it actually even makes it worse. Are there any cleaning products out there that you would reccomend? Thanks.

I've never cleaned one myself but using a brush does not sound correct. The kits I have seen use what looks like a lintless Q-tip.

Try a can of air. Also, if you know this already forgive me but never remove the lens with the camera powered on. The powered sensor is like a magnet to dust.

Bondseye said:
Try a can of air. Also, if you know this already forgive me but never remove the lens with the camera powered on. The powered sensor is like a magnet to dust.

I did thought about buying one of those keyboard air cans, I'll have to give it a try. I've also been told never to touch the mirror, is this true? Thanks.

NO NOT USE CANED AIR it’s to strong and you can damage the shutter and drive the dust deeper in to the cracks, use an air bulb and dry lens cloth to clean your camera. DSLR have a clear glass filter over sensor so it generally safety to clear, but IMO I would still stay away for touching it, also using lower f-stop help lessen the effect of dust

danalec99 said:
This is what I use. Read the Tutorial first.

Thanks Dan, I actually bought that same exact cleaner and wipes today at the store. I'll be sure to read that tutorial. Thanks.

Jeff Canes said:
NO NOT USE CANED AIR it’s to strong and you can damage the shutter and drive the dust deeper in to the cracks, use an air bulb and dry lens cloth to clean your camera. DSLR have a clear glass filter over sensor so it generally safety to clear, but IMO I would still stay away for touching it, also using lower f-stop help lessen the effect of dust

Also, canned air often has an oily propellant that can condense on surfaces...you don't want an oily substance on your sensor.

If you are careful when you change lenses...dirt & dust on the sensor shouldn't be a big problem. I find that using the clone tool in Photoshop to remove the few dust spots is easier than constant cleaning.

Bondseye said:

i heard of this, but i have a question, i also have a d70 and when i use mirror lock up to clean it it power has to be on the second i shut it off it closes ??how do i get around that one

It should have a sensor cleaning mode that will lock up the mirror and hold the shutter open. Make sure you have a lot of battery power because if the battery dies, the shutter will close and may get ruined.

Big Mike said:
Also, canned air often has an oily propellant that can condense on surfaces...you don't want an oily substance on your sensor.

If you are careful when you change lenses...dirt & dust on the sensor shouldn't be a big problem. I find that using the clone tool in Photoshop to remove the few dust spots is easier than constant cleaning.

Indeed, you must be careful to by a camera friendly can of air with out oils. Also, it is dangerous in untrained hands I suppose. I've been doing it for so long without a problem it never crossed my mind.
I also agree with the cloning fix though that doesn't ALWAYS work. The speck seems to get in the way 1 out of every 50 photos or so.

[FONT=geneva,arial,sans-serif]Check how much dust you really have by shooting the sky stopped at 22, run auto-levels
(optional), then view the image at actual pixels. By the way, make sure you take the shot
during the day (ha, ha).

Holy crap... I just did this test. Unbelieveable. I don't even want to post the photo, that is
how bad it is. Eek. Time to order a sensor cleaning kit.

[/FONT]

castrol said:
[FONT=geneva,arial,sans-serif]

Holy crap... I just did this test. Unbelieveable. I don't even want to post the photo, that is
how bad it is. Eek. Time to order a sensor cleaning kit.

[/FONT]

Oh yeah...mine is getting bad too! I spent an hour yesterday cloning out the dust spots from a landscape...only to decide once I had finished editing that I didn't really like the pic anyway...:(

I think I have decided to have mine cleaned professionally as I am concerned that I will damage the sensor if I clean it myself.

Here is an example of what has been happening to my pics:

sensor.jpg

People have been telling me that it's the sensor that has the dust particles, but when I clean the focusing screen (the part above the mirror) the dust particles seem to somewhat go away. Is it possible this is happening because of particles on the refractor or is it only the sensor where the dust will show up?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back