Disadvanteges of frequent cleaning?

Val

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If i set my camera to clean sensor on every on/off operation, are there any reasons not to do it? Camera is D300.

I think it uses vibration to 'shake' the dust off...so I guess you could save some wear and tear on the moving parts, if you turned it off....but that technology is probably a bit too new, to know if that will actually make a difference.

It might also save you some battery power.

I've shot 5,000 clicks with my D300, and changed lenses at least twenty times, but have not yet cleaned the sensor. Should I? I'm kind of scared to HAHA.

20 times? I have 3500 clicks and about 350 changes :) and im 18-200 kind of guy!! :D

Like Mike said its yet to be determined if that will damage your camera but I would imagine the more something is used the moe likely it is to break. Only clean your sensor when you notice dust specs in your photos, no reason to clean a clean sensor.

Like Mike said its yet to be determined if that will damage your camera but I would imagine the more something is used the moe likely it is to break. Only clean your sensor when you notice dust specs in your photos, no reason to clean a clean sensor.

Apparently when there is noticable dust its already too late. Youll have to clean it the hard way.

Why do you change so much? HAHA.

Well... I do some normal shots, then i do some macro shots, then i do wide shots then i get a prime for fun then i get bored and do normal shots again etc etc etc :)

Changing lenses is a must. Shooting in the same focal range all the time really limits you. I guess Romulux must not any primes or aybe he has a real solid 10 to 300mm lens sharp throughout.

If the built in sensor cleaner will not clean noticable dust off a sensor what is it good for?

Only 20 swaps? Yeah that's a very small amount, I only have 2 lenses to choose from, but I still find myself making a ton of changes.

Apparently when there is noticable dust its already too late. Youll have to clean it the hard way.

Makes no sense what so ever. If there's no visible dust there's no dust to shake off. This isn't a startrek force field, it's a ultrasonic vibrator. The dust particles will be sitting staring thinking wtf is that sensor doing.

The theory behind it is that visible dust is mostly clustered small pieces, not big ones. So its easy to shake of small seeds rather then formed clusters.

Again, this is just what i was told :)

One theory says that the moving parts of the camera inside also add to the dust due to wear and tear..like the shutter ect.
Going by that theory, Would the vibration mechanism also produce particles over time?

This is a very theoretical debate. Again one of the reasons I think this anti dust debate is marketing fluff. When you get a spec pull off the lens open the shutter, hit the sensor with a blower in 99.9% of cases that's the end of story.

Most reactions

Back