disassembling my old camera...

aparis99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
OK, so my mom dropped our old Kodak cam in the ocean (salt water). i thought i'd take it apart since i got an S3 now, but, what if there's a way to revive it?

I know she they took out the battery and stuff and it worked for a lil bit, but im thinkin maybe that salt water dries and leaves salt everywhere, if it could be messed with. I have it apart and its covered in chunks of salt.

Just wonderin if anyone has done this before, just curious :thumbup:

You might want to rinse it in distilled water to remove any salt. And then dry it completely. Distilled water has no impurities in it to conduct electricity. Its worth a shot, its wrecked anyway if you dont.

Used to do this with computer keyboards when someting is spilled on it.

My eldest daughter's boyfriend recently dropped his shure shot in his glass of beer. I simply took the batteries out and rinsed the camera under the cold water tap for half a minute. The thing works fine.

Here is a link to someones gallery of images that he shot while taking apart a camera he dropped into the ocean. As you will see...some parts are heavily corroded. Don't hold out hope for yours.

I would try and rinse it in normal water first, then in water/ethanol and then in distilled water.

Might not work though, because it need lubrication.

Since hindsight is a perfect science, I have heard that if you drop a camera in salt water, to keep it in water until you get it home, then rinse and dry. The idea being, that the salt water really only starts to corrode is when exposed to air. No that this helps you now, but perhaps in the future for anyone else that might be around water.

Most reactions

Back