Disneyland

Bo4key

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Heading to Disneyland with our daughters in a couple of weeks (2&4, I know). Really looking forward to it and having fun, not expecting anything.

Any tips photog wise?

I'll be taking my T2i, Tamron 17-50, speedlight and Lowepro photosport 200 to carry everything around, including snacks etc.

Read about Disneyland (books, internet, web or talk to friends) and find out what they have now. See if there are places that you like to take photos with. Arrive at the entrance right before they open. Take your family to those few spots you like to take photos without people in the background. You only have a very narrow window to do so.

I went to Disney world last year and was managed to take some morning shots with no people in the background. The gear I brought with me was a Canon 40D, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, a flash and a 85mm f/1.8. I had a small camera bag that just fit a body with the Tamron. And I have a small padded bag that I can put the 85mm and flash. And then I put both bags inside a regular backpack which I store other stuff.

Used the 85mm for some of the shows and that lens is great for that.

Flash is also a great tool for outdoor photos during the day (Sunny day even)

Why would you take a speedlight to Disneyland? are you going all out and taking pictures of them on rides in the dark?

i had mine with me. bonus park hours from like 9-midnight if your staying on site. 75% of the park cleared out and you have less people to deal with. got some great shots of my kid that night.

Heading to Disneyland with our daughters in a couple of weeks (2&4, I know). Really looking forward to it and having fun, not expecting anything.

Any tips photog wise?

I'll be taking my T2i, Tamron 17-50, speedlight and Lowepro photosport 200 to carry everything around, including snacks etc.

Tom Bricker of Disney Tourist Blog - Disney World & Disneyland Photos, Food Reviews, Planning Guide & Trip Reports takes a lot of Disney photos of both Disney Land and Disney World. He writes a lot of trip blogs documenting his trips which are always filled with photos if you want some ideas. He also has a section for tips too.

one thing to add. with two kids your likely to have your hands full. might try to find a few hours to get out by yourself. maybe while the kids are back at the room napping. or resting from a short day at the parks and go out on your own. you will move 10x faster and ahve the time needed to stop and really get a photo versus trying to get something quick before one of the kids gets lost.

Why would you take a speedlight to Disneyland? are you going all out and taking pictures of them on rides in the dark?

Not necessarily but I have room for it in the bag and it's always good to have a little controllable light. I like to use it in daylight at times for fill light as well.

Bo4key; don't expect great photo opportunities on the rides. The colorful lighting will not show up if you use flash, and they're too dark for available light. Just enjoy the rides. Try to get your children in good light (daytime) using fill flash. Watch for the characters to come out a few times per day, and try to get the children to pose with them. A little practice at home would help a lot. Get some "ambiance" shots with the family and Disney scenery in the shot.

Yes, I don't plan on taking any shots during the rides, I'm there to have fun more than anything. But, I'm looking forward to getting some nice shots while we are doing other stuff in the park.

I love shooting the teacups at twilight when the chinese lanterns are glowing overhead. Enjoy

Most reactions

Back