Displaying Your Prints In Restraurants

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Have an opportunity to display a few prints in a restaurant, but I'm clueless as to how to handle it. So suggestions and comments would be appreciated.
  1. Do you use a written agreement with the owner? Suggestions as to examples?
  2. Who is liable for theft or damage?
  3. Best sizes?
  4. Prints, stanoffs, canvas, metal?
  5. Do you mount, mat or frame prints?
  6. Appropriate commissions?
  7. Do you let store owner handle sale?
  8. If the customer uses a credit card do you reimburse the store for the fee?

Sounds like it could be a good opportunity, and it's great when someone wants your stuff, but back up the bus a little. You've come up with some good questions. I've used ASMP quite a lot as a resource or try PPA to start figuring out what to do.

I've done submissions to juried exhibits, which work somewhat differently than this. From what I've seen, it depends on the place. One in my area has artists email in samples first. It's up to the place I think what type work they want for art to display. Some of your questions may need to go to them about size, framing, available wall space, etc.

The place near me has the artist's info. displayed so they're on their own with any requests for purchases of larger size artwork. They do have some 8x10s or maybe 11x14s matted (in archival sleeves) that can be purchased there. I don't know how commissions are handled there for matted prints sold in the shop.

I don't know how many or what they've seen of your photos. I 'd think about taking in something matted/framed for them to see so you don't get all this ready to find out they only liked one they saw and aren't interested in many of your style photos, or want different framing than what you did to go with their decor, etc.

Have an opportunity to display a few prints in a restaurant...

Have they contacted you or vis versa? I've talked to many friends over the years and have never heard a positive opinion about decorating restaurants for free. Be prepared for not enough sales to cover all your costs.
  1. Do you use a written agreement with the owner? Absolutely!!! and make sure it spells out any theft so a waiter doesn't get a free ride decorating their own apartment. (this happens!) I would also have a time limit to how long the artwork will hang and a clause that you are not responsible for the wall due to the hanging. Anything over 4 months and you are decorating their business for free.
  1. Who is liable for theft or damage?
I've actually heard from a few friends that damage to either frames/matts is almost a guarantee when displaying in a restaurant. I've photographed many newly remodeled restaurants (high end) and can tell you they are filthy places. And if there's a smoking section...
  1. Prints, stanoffs, canvas, metal?
Isn't this your artistic choice
  1. Do you mount, mat or frame prints?
Call me negative or skeptical but I don't believe the typical average restaurant is going to be lucrative for selling artwork. (unless it's known for holding artist's shows) the times I've been contacted seem more like a business wanting free decorations. Will they give me a gift card for a couple hundred bucks to eat at the establishment. nope. How much do you want to decorate this business out of your own pocket.
  1. Appropriate commissions?
I would have material, cards, that the wait staff can hand out to interested buyers so they can contact you directly, good chance you will not want to be delivering prints that have hung in a restaurant for any period of time. Maybe frequent the restaurant and tip well letting the waiter know you are the artist - so they sell for you.
I know that any graphic designers are going to puke, but I like qr codes maybe have your's labeled near the signature
  1. Do you let store owner handle sale?
No, unless this is a gallery, personally imho original artwork should command a fee that is beyond what a restaurant wants to deal with, plus you can tailor the size of a print to the buyer.

One in my area has artists email in samples first. It's up to the place I think what type work they want for art to display. Some of your questions may need to go to them about size, framing, available wall space, etc.

They aren't that sophisticated. LOL Mom and Pop country style establishment in rural area, that draws a lot.

@jeffW

Have they contacted you or vis versa - Mutual conversation, that came up. I know the owners.

The quickest way to lose friends is an oral agreement on things of monetary value! Thanks for the comments on a written agreement.

Despite its country location, it's pretty civilized. Lot of older patrons. However while the whole restaurant is no smoking, you still have the fumes/smoke from the kitchen that wafts through the dining area, that I hadn't thought about. That would negate display of anything that wasn't behind glass.

As to time, I'd probably want to rotate them out every 30 to 45 days. I see most of the sales being impulse type sales, (at least at this location), as they are generally older, and financially comfortable. Considering I have trouble remembering things the next day, I'm afraid the moment would pass once they left.

"the fumes/smoke from the kitchen that wafts through the dining area, that I hadn't thought about." ..and a coating of grease. (don't know the molecule you can feel it fast food places) Depending upon how serious you are with your artwork I personally don't think I would feel good about delivering a piece that has sat in a restaurant.

I've done this with more of a wine store/bar than a eatery (because of a friendship) you would be surprised on who buys, patrons return and just want a scene in their house. I really hope you are charging a bit above a rate that an impulse buy can afford. Original artwork should command value and it's perfectly ok to charge for it. Have a postcard made up with your artwork and website so they can leave the restaurant with something.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back