Disquieting Lens Problem - Nikon 24-120 zoom

charlie76

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is not good. I got a used 24-120 Nikon lens for $400 from mob.com... I think it was a couple months ago. Today I put it to manual focus on a tripod, I look through the viewfinder....

...as I turn the focus ring back and forth, the image appears to shift laterally as I’m seeing it through the eyepiece.

What the holy hell is ip with that? I doubt mpb.com will take it back, so this sucks. Image appears to still be sharp. Autofocus works great.

Does anytime have any feedback on this issue? The wife will never approve another lens

Last edited:
Are you sure it’s not some type of manual focus assist happening?

Are you sure it’s not some type of manual focus assist happening?

No...it's not really a focus thing. The entire image shifts left and right when the focus ring is turned left and right. Only moves a little, but still moves. At 15 feet the subject seems to shift about a foot. Focus seems to work ok

This sounds most unusual. It sounds as if the lens has been damaged.

That doesn't sound good. It does sound like some internal damage causing play on parts the should be non moving. Check the warranty time with MPB.

That doesn't sound good. It does sound like some internal damage causing play on parts the should be non moving. Check the warranty time with MPB.

thanks guys. That’s what I thought

Just did some troubleshooting. It's the "slack" in the focus ring that is the problem. When you reverse direction on the focus ring, until the gears "grab", the entire image shifts left and right just a hair. Well, a little more than a hair. Image still looks great, but this problem is weird and a little unsettling.

BUT... I am pleasantly surprised to find that mpb.com has a 6 month warranty. Wouldn't have expected that on used gear.

................................BUT... I am pleasantly surprised to find that mpb.com has a 6 month warranty. Wouldn't have expected that on used gear.

Just as well you heeded my advice to check with them ain't it? No need to thank me:D:D;):wav:

................................BUT... I am pleasantly surprised to find that mpb.com has a 6 month warranty. Wouldn't have expected that on used gear.

Just as well you heeded my advice to check with them ain't it? No need to thank me:D:D;):wav:

Was good advice my good man, for sure. I owe it all to you spaceface! Looks like I owe you one Nikon lens

Was good advice my good man, for sure. I owe it all to you spaceface! Looks like I owe you one Nikon lens

Nah mate, I'm a Canon user. We don't have issues with our lenses;)

Nah mate, I'm a Canon user. We don't have issues with our lenses;)

Ahhhhhhh very good then.

What is the popular consensus on the Nikon 24-120 f/4 VR lens? I just acquired one, and so far I’m liking it.

Thanks
9B720B12-6837-4E3A-BFA2-CDEFF95360FA.jpeg

What is the popular consensus on the Nikon 24-120 f/4 VR lens? I just acquired one, and so far I’m liking it.

ThanksView attachment 198196

Love the lens, even with the problem I'm having which is due to it's "used" condition. Still, it's dead sharp. If you want awesome lens, take a look at the 14-24 Nikon zoom. Ultra-wide-angle awesome lens for lots of situations. I use that lens 10x more than this, but I suppose it depends on your shooting style

ThanksView attachment 198196

Love the lens, even with the problem I'm having which is due to it's "used" condition. Still, it's dead sharp. If you want awesome lens, take a look at the 14-24 Nikon zoom. Ultra-wide-angle awesome lens for lots of situations. I use that lens 10x more than this, but I suppose it depends on your shooting style

I will definitely look at that lens too.

Thanks
CBF4CAFB-41AB-482B-8606-0F8DEB4E8B6A.jpeg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back