DIY Ringflash Success

icassell

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yipppeeeee! My homemade ringflash works! Now I gotta go hunt down some bugs!

First tests (with Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro/Canon 30D/Vivitar 283):

nuts.jpg

It cost me all of about $30 to make (excluding the vivitar). Design link here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8472611@N04/sets/72157603816045949/

Last edited:
Last night I followed your link to see how the DIY ringflash is made. Pretty coooool.

Looks like you're getting it to work well.

Last night I followed your link to see how the DIY ringflash is made. Pretty coooool.

Looks like you're getting it to work well.

Well, I need to find some insects!

Good work, look forward to seeing some results!.. been meaning to build one myself but i'd end up with a shoddy looking thing.

Good work, look forward to seeing some results!.. been meaning to build one myself but i'd end up with a shoddy looking thing.

Well, it ain't beautiful looking, but it works ... I'll take a couple of pix of the flash when I get a chance.

that flash looks great! tempted to try myself.

that flash looks great! tempted to try myself.

I figured that at that price, I didn't lose much if it didn't work -- seems to work, though :) It only took a couple of hours to make (not including the time it took for the paint and glue to dry).

The only real problem is that you can't get to the lens to focus it while it's mounted in the flash, so you have to focus by moving the camera instead. But heck, it didn't cost me $450 either :)

The only real problem is that you can't get to the lens to focus it while it's mounted in the flash, so you have to focus by moving the camera instead. But heck, it didn't cost me $450 either :)

that is my way of focusing in macro anyway.

My only problem might be, that currently I do macro with a 300mm lens with a close up lens anyway. So this ringflash would not make too much sense there probably. ;)

OK, here are a couple of P & S pix of it --- not beautiful, but you get the idea

silvercam2038.jpg

silvercam2036.jpg

That's awesome.

You know, though, that all the insects in the greater Phoenix area have heard about this contraption and have split for Flagstaff. :mrgreen:

That's awesome.

You know, though, that all the insects in the greater Phoenix area have heard about this contraption and have split for Flagstaff. :mrgreen:

Yeah, by the time I get to play with the thing, they'll be hours away. Long work week with no shooting time -- but looking forward to Jerome meetup on Saturday (don't think I'll be doing macro there, tho).

Most reactions

Back