DIY Strobe Battery Pack Questions

do you even know how electrical systems work or just that you know how to follow internet "wisdom"?

the only impact I can think of here is that the capacitor would not fully charge (depends on the way the circuits in the strobe are built).

I mentioned it because a buddy of mine did the same kind of thing only for some audio equipment. A little DYI project.

A couple of years later when he and his wife got divorced she really appreciated the new house she got since he had burned down their old house with his DIY project.
:biglaugh:

audio systems have very different power demands than a strobe.

Most strobes don't have Bass-drops.

but dont ask me, ask my assistant:

C5JUZxzL7ENKoWvDc1qT3WFHZDb07I6fkRXuMEpGzm-ceKlDDY7vQNP11ecODxhkxhRtijSiVdEX-cqLrO2UIkG_KE_B36h4GOOOfKvwZdHFyRSfnKr7nNDxoH2Zq4W4SexyKxVdWZVZv1Suf1sPLDhFe51UYSE2MrhxSz8r9OgAmcvilUgzWqIyP2DbF1VrqA2tyGEI0-F2qIt4q9je7NovWSXQH9XmgaLcXQm_WAPYk7OOzLOd1bDfyADzbFmbdnZ18lftUzeVDqCIMDyxiHfB8XgFVViOqSpUf5IIeka0V_oJmXEt0FZrYWxfq0QamogbqatZfJQlXBzrAHQivXVX3fBWdZfPIjjH-b7fDIk-Qd1R82BkVjObXmfzvspjk0qW7V5f4i_fGMZNvwOn-NBvyOl__xfqMHPdqWxH7_FKOatTf07LdUOzHzsInTg2il81AvmaWn7A76XPYoac79G_3Vx53rKrc9u4sFkn7c22J_2QqFhaWsbLIMp2MDMteqlpawygQ-Kh27B_WFh7gK8egBzsBaFKheRyc-uhg7SY9__fDS-lxkFLB0294SvF0y71wg=w1360-h850-no

I mentioned it because a buddy of mine did the same kind of thing only for some audio equipment. A little DYI project.

A couple of years later when he and his wife got divorced she really appreciated the new house she got since he had burned down their old house with his DIY project.
:biglaugh:

Wait... Burned down? You mean with fire??

Why the hell didn't you say something earlier?

I have two power inverters in my garage, ill hook one up to my freaking mercedes car battery and plug in one of my monolights and go to town.

Now I'm redminded of when I used to work for a 1-hour-photo and we used to shock each other unsuspectedly with capacitors from unspent disposable-camera flashes.

Marketing for: buy my more expensive product.

I see that often in the photography products arena...

I was looking at this guy's inexpensive DIY project with a low-cost monolight. Super Easy DIY Rechargeable Battery Power Pack For Event Photographers - DIY Photography

I'm not really any type of expert on inverters, but I thought there were basically three grades of inverters, those being low cost cheapies or "square" current models,better, yet still noisy modified sine wave models, and then at the top of the pyramid pure sine wave inverters. I own a Tronix Explorer pure sine wave inverter that uses a pretty heavy 12-volt, 12-ampere-hour battery that weighs about 8 or 9 pounds I guess (last one was an Enercell 2301219 model), and the whole unit as a whole has been good for 9 years, in that time using up the original battery, then one replacement I installed, and then in late 2015, I had to put Battery #3 into it.

12volt, 12 amp has been PLENTY powerful and fast for me, running mostly 1 x 400 W-s power pack or 1x 600 Watt-s off of it, but It has also run my 1600 W-s pack as well, and the 2400 W-s on occasion; it might take 25-30 second to charge all the capacitors in the 2400 Black Line, but I've fired 60 to 100 frames that way, but you have to "make them count".

I dunno...I bought it to power a 2400 W-s power pack on "occasional use" jobs, and it's sloooooow with the big pack on it, but with a 200- or 400-Watt Speedotron Brown line pack, it's almost as fast as 110-volt wall current. it was said to only be able to handle 1200 W-s, but it can do more, only pretty slowly. I think for a smaller, 150-300 W-s monolight like the Neewers, that the smaller, 7-volt battery would have adequate power, and still light weight; the above DIY setup looks good.

I think if you got a "decent" modified sine wave inverter, and not some $25 car repair place cheapie inverter, that you'd likely be okay: I've looked at the Neewer C300 units on-line...they've been made basically unchanged since at least 2010, and they don't look like they have any digital controls...not trying to belittle them, but they look like they are likely build on old-school, low-tech platforms...the way my Speedotron gear is: 1970's technology...

Last edited:
...but they look like they are likely build on old-school, low-tech platforms...the way my Speedotron gear is: 1970's technology...
the difference is though, if you hit some with a Speedo light, they go down and stay down! :lol:

Most reactions

Back