DLSR vs Point and Shoot Digital cameras

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by bobbyfrancisjoseph, Jan 25, 2012.

1. bobbyfrancisjoseph

bobbyfrancisjoseph TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am a rookie in photography but unfortunately a techie too. So I would like to get one thing clear in my head. Based on my reading I easily understand why the optical viewfinder of a dSLR gives a more accurate view of the scene than in the case of point and shoot digital cameras. But why is it that the LCD screen is able to give a better view in case of dSLR. Is it because expensive and bigger sensors are used. Would I correct if I say that I am not taking advantage of the SLR principle if I am looking into LCD screen instead of viewfinder of a dSLR when taking photos.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Larger and better sensors, yes, and to a degree, higher-quality LCD displays, but probably the most important factor is larger, faster, higher quality lenses funneling the light onto that sensor. You would be correct; the 'reflecx' aspect on an SLR (film or digital) is based around the moving mirror. When you're using live view, the mirror (on most) DSLRs is raised out of the light path, and not part of the equation.

3. Jeremy Z

Jeremy Z No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    False. The optical view finder is always less accurate than what is shown on the LCD, whether it is a point & shoot or an SLR. The advantage of the optical viewfinder is that it is not impacted by bright sunlight and that having the camera against your face gives it another point against which it is stabilized.

The through-the-lens (TTL) optical SLR viewfinder was a huge advantage before there were LCD screens and digital cameras. Every other camera's viewfinder was an approximation. Once digital cameras came out, the optical viewfinder became more of a convenience and stability point than anything else.

Also, the optics of SLR lenses are not necessarily any better than those of point and shoot cameras. (especially the better point & shoots) The main reason SLRs yield higher quality images is because they have larger sensors; less enlargement is needed to get a usable image size. Same reason 35mm gave better images than 110 film and 2-1/4" film gave better image quality than 35mm.

4. o hey tyler

o hey tyler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm going to disagree with this.

OVF's don't have refresh rates. LCD's do. While I agree it shows the entire IMAGE area on the LCD, OVF's are more accurate.

5. Jeremy Z

Photos OK to edit
    Good point about refresh rate. But that applies to fast moving subjects. Sports, for instance.

For everything else, I would argue that seeing 100% of what one is capturing is more important.

6. o hey tyler

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A handful of DSLR's have 100% Viewfinder coverage, so I guess that would be the same thing.

I think on my 5D it's 95%, and the 5D2 is like 97%, but the 7D has a 100% full coverage viewfinder... Meaning you don't need to reference with the LCD, but I see what you're saying.

7. Jeremy Z

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, but those are few and very expensive cameras.

For those of us who can't drop a couple grand on a camera body, it is a moot point.

8. o hey tyler

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Lets put it this way... I've been shooting dslrs for the past 5 years. The negligible difference in frame coverage has not effected my photos In the least. Not really a moot point.

9. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I do like 100% viewfinders, but in practice 95% or 97% is fine.

I mean, it's not like you take a picture with a cheaper body then scream-
    "OMG! There's an extra 10 pixels around the edges that I didn't account for in my composition!"

10. SCraig

SCraig Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow! Guess those of us who grew up on cameras without LCD's were in trouble the whole time and didn't even realize it. Honestly, whether the LCD covers 95%, 97% or 100% really means nothing whatsoever to me.

11. APHPHOTO

APHPHOTO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I totaly disagree with the lense quality of point and shoot cameras being equal to dslr.

12. greybeard

greybeard Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

The added image enlargment needed by a P&S is a big disadvantage when compared to a dslr. True, a 12 MP file .jpeg from a P&S is the same size as a 12 MP file from a dslr but, the image from the P&S has to be enlarged several times more than the image from the dslr, even with a crop frame because the physical size of the P&S sensor is so much smaller than that of the dslr. This makes it really tough for a P&S to compete with a dslr. Eventhough the lens quality of a P&S may be high, the added enlargments needed would nigate any quality advantage the lens may have.