Do all camera sensors perform equally, per unit of sensor area?

Rockworthy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm just talking about the sensor, not any other part of the camera.

I'll admit it, I'm new to DLSRs in general and am doing some research to see what I really need to get and what I don't. I have a nerdy, technical question for those camera nerds out there :) A big discussion I see floating around is, "Do I really need a full frame DLSR or not?" Well I already know that I do not. My question is this though: certainly all sensors are not created equally, right? I mean, a top-quality smaller sensor (crop frame) might be made with superior technology and actually out-perform a full-frame sensor right?

For instance you could accidentally buy a cheap(er) full-frame camera that was made with a cheap full-frame sensor that could actually drink in less light and color than a really good crop-frame camera's sensor right?

Thanks guys! I love this forum.

Do all camera sensors perform equally, per unit of sensor area?

No. But, some image sensors are used in more than 1 make and model of camera.

The image sensor in the Nikon D5100, and D7000 are the same image sensor. The sensor in those Nikons is made by Sony, and is also used in a Sony camera too.

Image sensor size has a direct correlation to image quality. The smaller the sensor, the lower the IQ.

Investigate 'pixel pitch' and how pixel size relates to image sensor performance. http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/technology/technology/theme/cmos_01.html

Last edited:
Given the same generation (time frame), full frame cameras will, in general, have better sensors than crop. And they will also be more expensive. However, a newer generation crop sensor camera may have a better sensor than an older generation full frame camera.

This recent article is the successor to an early 2011 article published on The Luminous Landscape web site.

DxOMark Camera Sensor

It's well worth skimming, then reading.

Larger sensors have more space which means either higher resolution or larger individual pixels (less noise at low light)

[...] I mean, a top-quality smaller sensor (crop frame) might be made with superior technology and actually out-perform a full-frame sensor right? [...]
Theoretically, yes.

But in practice only if you buy a really old full-frame sensor.

Thats because full-frame sensors are REALLY pricey, and a challenge for current sensor production. Well established camera companies like Pentax havent managed to produce any, yet. Thus, you wont find such a "cheap" full-frame sensor just yet.

In a decade or so, when full-frame sensors might be as cheap as fourthird sensors are now, then yeah, that might happen.

Technically yes, newer sensors will outperform older sensors but...You do have to use a fairly old sensor to see that.

My 1D Mark II has a 1.3 crop sensor and it was produced in 2004.

It has comparable, and even slightly favorable ISO performance compared to my 60D, which was produced around 6 years later.

Canon doesn't really seem to make very many leaps in bounds when it comes to APS-C sensor performance over the years.

Image sensor size has a direct correlation to image quality. The smaller the sensor, the lower the IQ.

Kind of.

The on board processors have a lot to do with it too, which can be misleading is someone were to look at a 5D OG vs. an OM-D. The OM-D M43 sensor is 2 times smaller than the 5D sensor but ISO performance is on par.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back