Do both these photos use short lighting?

ElizaMM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Point taken. Thank you.

Of those two articles, I prefer the second, which I had seen several times before. Keep in mind, it is sometimes dangerous to learn advanced ideas from YouTube and the web...plenty of "blind leading the blind" video and articles out there.

In the comments to the second article, there is a comment from an Ali something; he makes the observation that the photo examples were shot using fairly soft lighting; for example in the "Split lighting" example...there is a surprisingly high amount of shadow-side detail..he said the author "should have" used harder, less-diffused lighting in making her example photos; a point which I agree with, but which earned him a fair amount of flak from other posters.

Thanks, Derrel.
dangerous to learn advanced ideas from YouTube and the web.
I agree - it's like asking Dr. Google to diagnose your illness.
But to get back to the photography..
Is the first image, marked "Short Lighting Style" (4 Common Portrait Lighting Styles) actually short lighting? If so, I am truly confused. The light is coming from camera left and falls on the side of her face closest to the camera. Is this not broad lighting?

Thanks, Derrel.
dangerous to learn advanced ideas from YouTube and the web.
I agree - it's like asking Dr. Google to diagnose your illness.
But to get back to the photography..
Is the first image, marked "Short Lighting Style" (4 Common Portrait Lighting Styles) actually short lighting? If so, I am truly confused. The light is coming from camera left and falls on the side of her face closest to the camera. Is this not broad lighting?

I would call that one broad lighting, not short. So I agree with your confusion.

One of the ways that I label short vs broad, is by looking at the ears. If the ear closest to you, the ear you can see, is lit....then it's broad lighting. If the visible ear is in shadow, then it's short.

Is the first image, marked "Short Lighting Style"

Anytime your key is primarily on the side away from the camera, it would be considered Short Lighting. However as Derrel pointed out diffusion, and distance of the light from the subject can contribute to spill over into the the shadow area.

Thanks for the clarification. And, I will remember the ears.

I would say that first shot is mislabeled :that is broad lighting, not short, so the caption is not correct.

As I said earlier, one has to be careful
On the web. There is a lot of misinformation out there.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back