Do different bodies have better sensors?

overco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For example, a D7100, will one show noise worse than another or are they all close enough to be the same?

Do you mean a D7100 vs something like a D3300, or two D7100s?

Yes, nearly every different version of generation of cameras will have a different sensor. But no, two of the same model should be exactly the same. If something is wrong, it's likely just a factory defect. Every D7100 should perform exactly the same under the same conditions.

Do you mean a D7100 vs something like a D3300, or two D7100s?

Yes, nearly every different version of generation of cameras will have a different sensor. But no, two of the same model should be exactly the same. If something is wrong, it's likely just a factory defect. Every D7100 should perform exactly the same under the same conditions.

Thank you! And I meant same model!

I've read through your other posts about which camera you should buy. I think you are over thinking it. Just buy the best camera you have the cash for and go take some shots!

For example, a D7100, will one show noise worse than another or are they all close enough to be the same?
Yes different bodies often have different sensors.

Even if they have the same sensor, they will often show different performances. My D750 has the same sensor as my previous D600, but its much better tuned now and shows substantly better performance.

Also:

The D3x00 line uses 12 bit raw recording with lossy compression
The D5x00 line uses 14 bit raw recording with lossy compression
The D7x00 line uses 14 bit raw recording with lossless compression

Its basically that Nikon intentionally cripples lower end bodies so people have an incentive to buy the more expensive crap.

P.s.: Well it should probably be pointed out that the quality differences are still very minor. You can make just as good photographs with a D3x00 camera as with the Nikon flagships, like the upcoming D5, assuming you know what you're doing and its not one of the more extreme scenarios, in which the D5 indeed will have a lot more reserves.

Last edited:
How will you be able to tell the differences well enough to satisfy yourself that you got a "good one"?

Do you take a random sample of say ten identical new cameras and perform a test on them to know which one you will keep?

There are some bodies that do share the same sensor but have different processors which can have an affect on image quality.

Being a mechanical engineer I would certainly expect some Manufacturing Varability to be present.

A camera can have many areas where manufacturing variability can take place and is one of the reasons some cameras allow adjustment for the auto-focus.

I have two camera bodies of the same model and I would think the sensors to have the least amount of variation compared to the rest of the components in the light path. I expect with the right equipment someone could measure the difference between the two sensors. The idea, however, is that the variation is controlled enough during the manufacturing process so that they can be considered the same.

Most reactions

Back