Do I have the right idea about flash?

i've done both because ive always figured that attachin it to the camera makes it easier in a lot of senses. when i put it in my hand i get even mooorreee confused. i think its a case that i need to read the manual in terms of figurin out all the dials and terms, but really i dont know what im doing at all.

if i put the flash on the hotshoe, couldn't i just click n shoot? Wouldn't it become sort of automatic in that sense?

i've done both because ive always figured that attachin it to the camera makes it easier in a lot of senses. when i put it in my hand i get even mooorreee confused. i think its a case that i need to read the manual in terms of figurin out all the dials and terms, but really i dont know what im doing at all.

if i put the flash on the hotshoe, couldn't i just click n shoot? Wouldn't it become sort of automatic in that sense?

Can the D3000 be used as a commander for the flash? If so you can set it up so that you can use the flash off camera and still click and shoot. In the cameras menu you can choose what mode you want the slave flash to be in (TTL or M).

Can the D3000 be used as a commander for the flash? If so you can set it up so that you can use the flash off camera and still click and shoot. In the cameras menu you can choose what mode you want the slave flash to be in (TTL or M).

I've not used my D3000 as of yet with flash but i'll give it a go and fiddle about, maybe i just need a little confidence in what im using and doing.

Thanks for the help guys! Sorry if i hijacked this thread a li'l bit, just figured it'd save makin a new thread about similar issues!

...ive always figured that attachin it to the camera makes it easier...

Well, yes... it's a bit easier than holding in hand, having to be mindful of how you have it positioned. But then it's on the camera! That's not where you position your lighting in the studio, is it?

-Pete

That's a very valid and helpful point, no it's not. I think the best thing that one of my teachers taught me about flash was to bounce it off of ceilings, the light seems to look a looottt nicer.

When I'm indoor and using flash. I meter the background (expose it properly) and use the flash to light up the subject.

So in theory, my subjects are, say 1 stop below the background, do I raise the FC +1 so the light of the subject is properly lit?
This could've been answered by yourself. All it would take is a notepad, a pencil and a series of test shots. I find that my retention is stronger when I try to answer my own questions first. If I hit a roadblock, then ask others.

Just my 2¢. :D

You want the subject separated from the background, to make the subject 'pop'.

You do that by having a lighting ratio between the subject and background. In other words, under exposing the background, not matching it.

Light advances, dark receeds

KMH, that's my way of saying "matching" so yes you're right.

When I'm indoor and using flash. I meter the background (expose it properly) and use the flash to light up the subject.

So in theory, my subjects are, say 1 stop below the background, do I raise the FC +1 so the light of the subject is properly lit?
This could've been answered by yourself. All it would take is a notepad, a pencil and a series of test shots. I find that my retention is stronger when I try to answer my own questions first. If I hit a roadblock, then ask others.

Yes so could every other questions that's being asked here :er:
Let's close the forum down from asking questions.

Just my 2 cents....:mrgreen:

You do that by having a lighting ratio between the subject and background. In other words, under exposing the background, not matching it.

And there it is... simply stated.

-Pete

He said the background exposure is simply up to the photographer or client's preference. Do you guys agree with that?
Yes, I completely and totally agree with that.

Ditto

So Pete, which one do you agree with??? :confused:
You just agreed to both, the background being underexposed and exposed similar to subject (if the client/photographer prefers it that way)

Last edited:

There's two kinds of people in the world. :p

Light advances, dark receeds

Uh....Sorry, I don't think you get it yet, f/11 does not 'match' f/8.

Uh....Sorry, I don't think you get it yet, f/11 does not 'match' f/8.[/QUOTE]

Neither do the color of blue jeans with white t-shirt yet they match....think about it for a sec. Good night!
This should have been left alone after VI's comment and after I said "Gotcha" but I guess there are two types of people in this world.

So Pete, which one do you agree with??? :confused:
You just agreed to both, the background being underexposed and exposed similar to subject (if the client/photographer prefers it that way)

That's nearly right. I wondered if anyone would call me out on that.

What I think I said was that it's the photographers preference (not the client... that's a whole other discussion) how to expose the background. And when speaking about the type of photography being discussed here, a photographer will prefer to let the background go a bit deeper. It's simply a better choice.

I don't think I ever said we should overexpose the background when shooting wedding candids. But I do insist it's the photographers choice. We decide.

-Pete

Most reactions

Back