Do I need permission to photograph a high school cheerleading team?

SeizedMedia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The title pretty much says it all but I'll explain a bit more. I was hired by the coach of a high school cheerleading team to take photos of the team. We will be taking the photographs at the school that they cheer for on the weekend. My question is do I need a permission slip signed by the parents of the cheerleaders under 18? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great! That's what I thought but I wanted to make sure. Thanks so much!

I take photos of the HS cheerleaders all the time on the sideline. Some parents appreciate getting photos of their kids in action from a better perspective than they are allowed to get. Besides, you are paid by the school "coach" to take them.

I should note that my daughter competes or has competed in competitive cheer with most of the girls on the school cheer squad, and I know the parents to probably half the squad.

Jeff, who would you ask? Sorry for the ignorance

The coach and/or school should already have permission forms signed by the parents for the students to participate in school sports, as well as for publicity purposes (since there could be cameras or a TV crew at the games).

I'm not sure if that would cover your usage of the students' images or not. You probably need to go thru the coach for your own releases to be signed, or ask the coach who to contact in the school district. (In my experience it's the coach who you contact but it may be different for this school.)

For editorial use such as a newspaper or other media outlet usually releases are not needed. For other usage such as commercial or business use, or retail use, you'll need releases signed. For fine art prints usually not. Since many of these students are probably under 18 I'd get releases signed rather than have a parent see their child's image in use later knowing they did not give permission.

If you were 'hired' by the coach I don't know if you have (or will have) a contract but I would have things in writing. You will be on school property at a school sanctioned event so you will need their permission to be there taking photos. Since the coach asked you to do this I think that permission is implied, but I'd get something in writing so you're covered.

Try American Society of Media Photographers - Homepage or PPA for more info. on releases, contracts, etc.

I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV. That caveat acknowledged...

....there are LEGAL issues and then just good policy. Unless it's street photography (or the sports equivalent--you're taking photos of a game and a cheerleader appears in it), you should get permission and/or a release when you are intentionally shooting someone and intend to do more than put it in your personal portfolio or give it to an editor for a story (public news).

If you were hired by the coach (or even asked, even if no money changed hands), the cheer team should have signed various waiver forms that absolve this issue. But anytime I intentionally do anything photographically with a minor, I get permission of the parents. Regardless of the legality, it's just smart.

Now, as a photojournalist, the argument is that you're covering public events so no release is necessary. But if you're doing portraits, that's another deal.

In the UK if there is no expectation of privacy then it's fine. If it's on private property (and there's no expectation of privacy) then you just need the landowners permission (or that of a tennant) but permission is assumed until revoked, and if it's revoked all that can happen is you are asked to stop taking photographs, you are asked to leave or removed from the premises. Your photos remain your property and no one has the right to view or delete or confiscate them (except the police if they reasonably suspect a crime has been committed or you have evidence of a crime being committed) Commercial photograhy would still need a model release.

So in other words as long as they are in public and the school says it's ok then it's fine as long as not for advertising (of a product) then legally that's all the permisson you need.

In practise many schools (in the UK anyway) like to seek spesific permission from students and parents in cases where photography is allowed (school shows etc). It's also common for primary schools to ban photography outright as a precaution (largely for fear of lawsuits but also a fear of photographers). Also teachers don't understand law and there iis a lot of gossip and heresay.

Legal advise from photographers on line is NEVER a reliable option!

Laws vary from location to location.
Permission for photography is often needed on private land
Permission is often needed to publish any images
Regardless of the actual law, taking photos of children can be problematic (even when they're your children!)

Legal advise from photographers on line is NEVER a reliable option!

True but one piece of experience I learned very early on, have a written contract for every shoot even a charitable one (tfp). Just because one party is hiring you that should not instantly grant them the rights to distribute your images after the fact. Point is, why is the coach hiring you? Is the coach speaking for the school or themselves? Where is the payment coming from?

Hypothetical: So the coach hires you so they can use the images for educational purposes for many classes to come. Great.

That doesn't give the coach the rights to give the parents your pictures. If the parents want copies (prints) they should license them from you the photographer. What better way to let the parents know who to contact than your permission release. (With your marketing letterhead) Does the school also want images for their yearbook? Again your contract should spell this out. Additional parties added to the contract should be charged accordingly. If an administrator sees you on school property with a camera and you don't have permission from the school district you are going to be waiting in an office wasting your time (here in the USA) I've shoot a lot of empty schools with no kids in the building even going through proper channels it's not fun.

I agree with Petrochemist there is just so much internet responses that "assumes"

Make sure your contract CYA

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back