Do I really need 45mp

funny cause there were people like 6 months ago waiting for this shipment of D850s and you get it in a few days :p

Yea and now there is used one's floating around.Congrats! My friend has one and getting some cracking landscapes from it. he also has the Canon 5D 50 MP the 6D and Olympus OMD 1 Mark II all took a back seat.

funny cause there were people like 6 months ago waiting for this shipment of D850s and you get it in a few days :p
Yeah, I ordered it yesterday morning and it was here this morning. I ended up buying from Adorama with free overnight shipping.

Trigger has been pulled

Looking forward to you feedback and some shots! Hands down the best camera I've ever used, still learning to fully tame the beast but love it!
I see you have the 24-70 non VR. How well does it holdup handheld at 45mp?

I always shoot at full 45mp and it holds it own for sure.. Never had any issues or specific complaints..

I'm the weird person who sold my 36MP and all of my 2.8 zooms and went back to 16MP and all AF primes. Boom!

I'm the weird person who sold my 36MP and all of my 2.8 zooms and went back to 16MP and all AF primes. Boom!
And I'm sure you are getting some wonderful results. The best zooms can only resolve 16mp. I've shot some test shots with my 24-120 f/4 and comparing the D850 to the D750 using that lens there is little if any difference. But, with my 50mm f/1.4 and 105mm 2.8 macro there is an extra level of detail. If you are gonna shoot zooms with a D850, you might as well set the RAW size to medium which is around 25mp and save the space. (jmho)

Nikon D850 paired with the New 500mm f/5.6 PF for wildlife Drooling.

I'm entertaining this very idea. So how well does a D850 work in Wildlife and can it do it without a grip?

Its nothing I planned on doing but I have found myself switching to primes here lately. I mean don't get me wrong, there is some decent zooms out there, the Nikon 14-24 is awesome. But I find primes to be sharper, more consistent, and in some cases, just easier. I miss my 14-24 but I love my more compact 20mm 2.8.

I'm still a sucker for resolution however, its nice to be able to crop an image down some and still have a nice image. I do some printing but most of the stuff I have sold is smaller prints. So I guess its not a huge deal but that could change in time and need the MPs.

I've had a few days to play around with the D850 and I've come to some conclusions about it. Comparing 24mp to 46mp is like comparing a sound recording that has been sampled at 44Khz to one that has been sampled at 96Khz. It depends on the microphones, the studio, the mic pre-amps and most of all the quality placement of the microphones. If everything in the audio chain is up to the quality of the 96Khz recorder then you should hear a pretty dramatic difference. If you are using a D850 with a 24-120 kit lens, you may not see much difference between 24 and 46 mp but if you are using a high quality zoom or prime and with the right subject matter you may see a difference. Do I need 45 mp? No but it's nice to have if and when I do.

The D850 has so many nice features and is extremely customizable. One setting I like is to set the Raw size to crop and enable the mask. This give me a 21mp crop frame with the advanced focusing system of the D5-D500 that will keep snapping at 7 fps for as long as you hold down the shutter button. This should work pretty well with my 150-600 and wildlife. I can switch to 46mp Full Frame by holding down the record button and one click of the control. Custom Settings Bank/Photo shooting menu bank has a fairly steep learning curve (at least it does for me) but it is really awesome once you get the hang of it. Like others wrote, it will point out any flaws in your glass and techniques. My old Tokina 28-70 f/2.8 looks great in the center but it falls pretty short on the edges. And the raw/dng files have a lot of CA but the jpegs are clean. The in-camera JPEG correction is outstanding.

It is a bit flakey about aftermarket lenses and grips. All of the controls on my Vello grip accept for the Shutter Release and Focus button stopped working last night. I was ready to send the grip back when I tried doing a reset on the camera. After that it started working just fine. My old Tokina 28-70 f/2.8 was focusing just fine this morning but decided to stop focusing this afternoon. I mounted a Nikon AF-S lens which focused just fine and then the Tokina started focusing just fine. FLAKEY

Last edited:
make sure both batteries are charged when using a grip. My can freak out if the battery in the grip gets too low, despite having a full battery in body.

make sure both batteries are charged when using a grip. My can freak out if the battery in the grip gets too low, despite having a full battery in body.
Thanks, I'll do that. Which grip do you have?

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back