Do I really need the Nikon D70s?

Canadian GP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have an older Minolta SLR and a newer Sony digital point and shoot. I now want the best of both words, a DSLR.

I'm torn between the Nikon D70s body($1040 CDN) or the D50 body ($820 CDN) Since I really don't know all that much about DSLR cameras I'm asking for opinions on these and if the 70 is worth the extra $220.

Should I pay the $140 CDN to extend the warranty from 2 yrs to 5 yrs?

Should I trade in my Minolta Maxxum 5000 or try to sell it on Ebay?

Thanks for your help. :thumbup:

hobbes28 said:
Seeing as you have a Minolta SLR already, you could see if the Konica Minolta 5D or 7D would also be considerations.

I would consider either of those cameras but it seems Minolta no longer has distributers in Canada.

I can order from this website. www.shopkonicaminolta.com.

I still prefer to hold a product in my hand before I buy it.

Thanks for the suggestion though. ;)

The Konica Minolta 5D is a very good camera and I had been considering it as well, but I've decided instead to get the Nikon D50.

While the anti-shake system and the very nice color LCD (and trick sensor that shuts it off when placing the viewfinder up to your eye) on the 5D make it very desirable, the lack of accessories and aftermarket support are a bit of a bummer. The 5D also wasn't as comfortable as I had hoped.

The D50 isn't perfect either, as it uses consumer grade media (SD cards), lacks a front control knob and has a cheap kit lens. That being said, the image quality holds up great under higher ISO's (much better than the D70s), has better out-of-the-camera image quality and feels great in my hands.

Most reactions

Back