Is micro four thirds what I want?

This photo was taken with my Panosonic Lumix ZS 100 and blown up to 12x24. You can't look at it and find a difference between it and a photofrom my D 7000 blown up to the same size!

This next photo was taken with the nikon but only blown up to 9x19. One is as good as the other!

Here's another shotwith the panosonic ZS 100 to about 250mm. Another 9x19" photo. And I'm not that good at this and the terms have me lost. I do understand the term camera though!

MJ2Ayawl.jpg

One more with the Panosonic ZS 100 blown to 9x19 shot at 250mm

MJ2Ayawh.jpg

Hi, everyone. I'm new here and looking for advice on what system I should be looking at.

What I really want is something that would replicate the capabilities of my DSLR in a much more portable format. For reference, that's a Nikon D7100, a 24-70 f/2.8 and a 70-200 f/2.8. Though it's old now, it still meets all of my needs (reasonably fast autofocus, crisp shutter response, good image quality, dual control wheels, etc.). I used it for a long time and never felt I needed to step up to a full frame camera. The only thing I wish it did better is autofocus in challenging light conditions and changing action.

What's changed for me is that I have a kid now, and lugging my camera gear along is usually not practical. I found myself at the biggest airshow in the world this summer (Airventure Oshkosh) without the will to lug my camera bag to the flight line along with my kid, my chair, and all the necessary things to keep us happy for an afternoon in the hot sun.

So... is it micro four thirds I should be looking at? Can I get a good body for $1000ish and a really good 200mm (equivalent) constant aperture lens?

I've looked at mirrorless DX and FX bodies, and it seems that I'll only save about 10% in weight. Micro 4/3 seems like it will save more like 40%.

Is there anything more suited to my needs? I've looked at add-ons to my iphone, but shutter lag still seems like it would be a big problem, not to mention lens availability. Still, if I could turn my iphone into something with a 200mm equivalent focal length and a quick shutter response, it would likely meet my needs quite nicely.
Eric did you ever resolve your dilemma?

I'm 4 thirds in various cameras and lenses
There's a few cameras to chose but limited lenses in that range
Panasonic 50-200 F2.8-4 might work for you.
I've a 40-150 2.8 (Olympus) with 1.4TC.
I can vouch for that lense. I find it an excellent lense, light (for what you get) smooth to use when zooming or focusing.

There's the 100-400 but they're bigger and obviously heavier

This photo was taken with my Panosonic Lumix ZS 100 and blown up to 12x24. You can't look at it and find a difference between it and a photo from my D 7000 blown up to the same size!

This next photo was taken with the nikon but only blown up to 9x19. One is as good as the other!

Sadly Don the system has killed your images as they (I presume) exceed the forum pixel dimensions

Funnily enough, I can see the images here as I type this reply !!!

Phil

Most reactions

New Topics

Back