Is micro four thirds what I want?

Eric Gleason

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, everyone. I'm new here and looking for advice on what system I should be looking at.

What I really want is something that would replicate the capabilities of my DSLR in a much more portable format. For reference, that's a Nikon D7100, a 24-70 f/2.8 and a 70-200 f/2.8. Though it's old now, it still meets all of my needs (reasonably fast autofocus, crisp shutter response, good image quality, dual control wheels, etc.). I used it for a long time and never felt I needed to step up to a full frame camera. The only thing I wish it did better is autofocus in challenging light conditions and changing action.

What's changed for me is that I have a kid now, and lugging my camera gear along is usually not practical. I found myself at the biggest airshow in the world this summer (Airventure Oshkosh) without the will to lug my camera bag to the flight line along with my kid, my chair, and all the necessary things to keep us happy for an afternoon in the hot sun.

So... is it micro four thirds I should be looking at? Can I get a good body for $1000ish and a really good 200mm (equivalent) constant aperture lens?

I've looked at mirrorless DX and FX bodies, and it seems that I'll only save about 10% in weight. Micro 4/3 seems like it will save more like 40%.

Is there anything more suited to my needs? I've looked at add-ons to my iphone, but shutter lag still seems like it would be a big problem, not to mention lens availability. Still, if I could turn my iphone into something with a 200mm equivalent focal length and a quick shutter response, it would likely meet my needs quite nicely.

I shoot a Sony RX100iv on vacation and parties and children shots. I just became a grandfather two years ago. Their latest model is the RX100vii. They're pricey but you can get one of the earlier models and save money. Note the difference in zoom. Mine is from 24-70mm equivalent. Later model go 24mm-200mm. They all come with a flash and an eye level viewfinder as well as the back display which articulates making shots of children low down a lot easier. They shoot 4K video as well as well as high speed short burst of 960fps. I keep it in my shirt or pants pocket when not being used, it's that small. The 1" sensor isn't as large as the micro 4/3. But its much larger than a standard P&S sensor. I find that prints come out great and I make slide shows to show on my 75" 4K TV and they're great. See the links below for samples.

American Southwest 2018 - Digital Flickr stills
Red Rock Canyon, Las Vegas Flickr stills

The following is a short video with a video clip and stills. It's on YouTube viewable up to 4K on your TV or monitor with sound.

Thanks for the input, Alan. I’ve had premium compact cameras in the past and been disappointed in the handling, particularly the way zoom is controlled. I really want a ring to turn.

When I’ve had a compact, I’ve rarey chosen it over my iPhone.

If you’re not sure, rent before you buy.

Thanks for the input, Alan. I’ve had premium compact cameras in the past and been disappointed in the handling, particularly the way zoom is controlled. I really want a ring to turn.

When I’ve had a compact, I’ve rarey chosen it over my iPhone.
The menu allows you select the control function of the big ring on the lens. Item 14 in the picture below. So you can select it for zooming. There are two modes. One allows the ring to jump from each of standard zoom settings. The second mode allows continuous adjustment of the zoom lens. Note the top picture shows the lens open in it;s shooting mode. The middle and bottom pictures show the lens retracted when you keep it in your pocket so it's smaller and fits better. The eyelevel viewfinder #9 retracts when the camera is not in use.

Attachments

• Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I just looked at the Sony RX100iv specs more and realized that the zoom lens doesn't reach nearly far enough for me to bother with it instead of my phone. None of the other compact cameras appear to be significantly better.

Have a look at the Sony RX10 M4, it's the best camera in its class....

If I lugged a bag full of stuff around with me, I'd give it up too! If the bag is even with me, it stay.s in the truck! I carry around my point and shoot in a pouch on my belt. I find something I think is special and I'll go back with just my DSLR and a zoom lense. I have no idea how some people can lug around all the stuff they have in a camera bag and still enjoy photography! End of a day doing that and I'd feel like a pack mule. If your favorite lense is a constant 50 or 85 or what ever, a zoom of 10-200 has them in it right in the middle of everything. I get the feeling some people fret if they don't have the perfect lense with them for this shot or that. Oh and least we forget, the spare camera if we feel it will be better so they don't have to change lense's! Get on a scale and check your weight. Now get on again only with your camera bag and recheck!

Should have mentioned, my point and shoot takes as good photo's as my DSLR! So look at a photo of the same thing from both and they surely have one thing in common. They are both photo's! Photography is like any other activity. There are those people that take it much to seriosly!

If I lugged a bag full of stuff around with me, I'd give it up too! If the bag is even with me, it stay.s in the truck! I carry around my point and shoot in a pouch on my belt. I find something I think is special and I'll go back with just my DSLR and a zoom lense. I have no idea how some people can lug around all the stuff they have in a camera bag and still enjoy photography! End of a day doing that and I'd feel like a pack mule. If your favorite lense is a constant 50 or 85 or what ever, a zoom of 10-200 has them in it right in the middle of everything. I get the feeling some people fret if they don't have the perfect lense with them for this shot or that. Oh and least we forget, the spare camera if we feel it will be better so they don't have to change lense's! Get on a scale and check your weight. Now get on again only with your camera bag and recheck!

Should have mentioned, my point and shoot takes as good photo's as my DSLR! So look at a photo of the same thing from both and they surely have one thing in common. They are both photo's! Photography is like any other activity. There are those people that take it much to seriosly!
I used to carry a 35mm case around all the time. What a pain. Then when you go into the restaurant to eat, you have to keep and eye on it so no one steals it. With a little P&S like the RX100, I just shove it in my pocket and ignore it. For vacations, it's a dream.

I'm looking for a zoom that performs like what I have now, which is 70-200mm on an APS-C, so 112 to 320 equivalent.

In fact, I want the whole system to perform similarly to what I have now, just smaller and lighter.

Alan, I appreciate that your P&S suits your needs, but I have determined that it's not the solution for me for a variety of reasons. Perhaps I'll start a new thread with a different subject line to get more discussion going.

I'm looking for a zoom that performs like what I have now, which is 70-200mm on an APS-C, so 112 to 320 equivalent.

In fact, I want the whole system to perform similarly to what I have now, just smaller and lighter.

Alan, I appreciate that your P&S suits your needs, but I have determined that it's not the solution for me for a variety of reasons. Perhaps I'll start a new thread with a different subject line to get more discussion going.
Have you considered mirrorless? This is the exact reason I went with the Nikon Z7 II and the 24-120 S. Not as compact as a micro 4/3, but not as bulk as a DSLR by a long shot and the glass is amazing throughout the whole range.

EDIT, I see that you've looked at mirrorless.

Hi, everyone. I'm new here and looking for advice on what system I should be looking at.

What I really want is something that would replicate the capabilities of my DSLR in a much more portable format. .....
G'day Eric

Alan & Don have given you the best info so far ... and I am another of "them" who has abandoned the dSLR scene 20-yrs ago for the superzoom / bridge / up-market compact cameras

I use (and I suggest you consider) the Panasonic FZ range ... particularly the FZ-2000 or FZ-1000/ii models. As Alan says they use the 1" sensor, they have 16x or 20x zoom, they each have the P-A-S-M plus other options and (as the sensors get better) good to excellent response focus speed to moving subjects. Not as fast as the hi-end dSLRs, but pretty fast focus responses

At home I have a series of 24"-wide prints on the walls from the FZ and no-one has ever commented "oh it's a poor image coz it's from a 1-inch sensor" ... it simply does not show up

ps- the other FZ that gets heaps of use from me is their FZ-300, with its constant aperture F2,8 lens, going from 24 to 600mm. I use it for bushwalking, lo-light shooting & theatre work where the F2,8 lens comes into its own coupled with ISO-1600 or thereabouts

Hope this helps
Phil

This photo was taken with my Panosonic Lumix ZS 100 and blown up to 12x24. You can't look at it and find a difference between it and a photofrom my D 7000 blown up to the same size!

This next photo was taken with the nikon but only blown up to 9x19. One is as good as the other!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back