Do people get too wrapped up in how they think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imagemaker46

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
imagecommunications.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I read thread after thread about what is right and wrong, good and bad, shoot raw or don't. I need more megapixels, I need a faster camera, 6fps isn't enough, 10fps isn't enough. I need photoshop 8 or 9 because 7 just isn't good enough, does it really make that much of a difference to the average user? Not a chance. Do people read articles and become "experts" overnight because they think they understand what it is they are doing? Or do they just want to sound more intelligent?

For the average camera owner learning how to use a camera is no more complicated than an experienced photographer picking up a new camera and having to learn the useless new functions when the old ones did the job. Cameras have become more complicated, same as car engines have taken the fun out of being able to tune your own car.

Does learning every single function on a camera make you a better photographer? Or does it frustrate most people when they are constantly being told they have to learn it all to be good.

I don't read half the threads on here as soon as the "know alls'" start to post, and I have a decent understanding of photography. How do the new camera owners feel? Overwhelmed perhaps.

"Do people get too wrapped up in how they think?"
Yes

Do people get too wrapped up in how others think?
Yes

Is the suggestion that only a select few should participate and all others should set in the corner with their mouths shut? And then be labeled as a troll? Do beginners and intermidiates not have any valuable to contribute?

I don't get wrapped up in the functions of my camera. I'm too much of a noob to realize that I still don't understand all the capabilities of my camera. I feel I know it all when it comes to my camera.
I do get wrapped up in my inability to be creative and see the shot before I take the shot.
More importantly, just me answering this, shows I'm wrapped up in how I think.

OK. I'm not sure your point here other than maybe you're done with forum life?

I try to keep an open mind to how other people shoot when I am answering. For example we all know I can't shoot in the priority modes for diddly squat, but I teach them every day. I try to look at posts and answer in line with how that poster is working and what they are aiming for, not necessarily me. CC can be both ways. What I'd do will be my answer if the poster doesn't give me any information to tell me that they're doing anything in particular.

Do they have to learn it all? No. They need to learn the basics and it doesn't matter how they control them as long as they control them and can create the image they imagine. People have tried like hell to teach me to shoot in priority modes-I am just inept. Totally and completely. I know how it's supposed to work, but it's just not something I can do. Guess that'd mean I'm not such a good photographer? That doesn't make sense. This is how I shoot-that is how someone else shoots. Doesn't make either one of us wrong. Both can get the same results-just different styles.

We have a several overnight experts here lately.
As for the Know All's-I guess that'd be me seeing how I answer with my knowledge. Not sure how anyone is supposed to learn without getting the answer from someone who knows how to do whatever it is they're asking. If the overnight experts answer it gets pretty scary and sure would make the (as you pointed out) difficult task of learning what they're doing a whole lot harder.

I was trying to work out how to reply, but now I'm just going to be lazy and copy MLeeK's post because it mostly sums up how I feel (except that I'm one who can use priority modes :)).

I've search the apps store and there isn't an app out there to help me process your questions, so I'll be in the corner thinking about it. hmmmmmmm.:lmao:

I've search the apps store and there isn't an app out there to help me process your questions, so I'll be in the corner thinking about it. hmmmmmmm.:lmao:

So what you're saying is - we need a MLeek app!

The world couldn't handle that much of me!

Yes. A FREE version and a PRO version for $1.99

... does it really make that much of a difference to the average user?

I think today's "average user" is different than what some of us old time photographers think is average.
Many of today's digital photographers are concerned about the megapixels, apps, shooting speed ... more than previous photographers.
This may be due to the rapid changes in technology ... this plays a bigger role in now.

When I was shooting film SLR's ... there was not much change going on in the camera with new models ... and I don't recall any software applications.
Even film/paper chemistry did not change much ... so in the past we basically all used the same equipment, and the only real difference was our personal ability to see/capture/display.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back