What's new

Do You Ever Print your Digital Photos?

I have printed a few to hang around the house, but not many. My wife also was a digital frame that will scroll through all of our pics.
 
I do sometimes for a journal or some go into a photo album but mostly they stay on the computer, on my Alexa screen or on a digital frame
 
Well I took a big upgrade today in printing and ordered a Canon Prograf-1100 printer to replace my Canon Pro-200. I decided I wanted the ability to print up to A2 size. Sure expensive for my own personal use but I am invested in the hobby so for me it is worth it.
I replaced my Pixma 9000 MK II with a pro 200 and the Canon printer's work great. Recently been thinking about that 17" Canon myself and before I'm done I'm gonna have one. I like large prints, do a lot of 12x24 prints. 17" would let me go 16x20 but I think what I'd want is 17x34! At my age a 17" would likely be my last printer!
 
At 300 dpi, each square inch print would be approximately 0.09 mb,
so a 12 X 24 print = 288 sq. inches
so 288 X .09 = approx 26mb
So a camera sensor of 26mb pixels or greater should suffice for 12X24 prints
assuming the printer output is 300 dpi.
 
At 300 dpi, each square inch print would be approximately 0.09 mb,
so a 12 X 24 print = 288 sq. inches
so 288 X .09 = approx 26mb
So a camera sensor of 26mb pixels or greater should suffice for 12X24 prints
assuming the printer output is 300 dpi.
My Canon Pro 200 has a deal to tell me if the picture is any good when I print it. Hit print then little cox suggest quality aand amazed me ho low in pix' they would get and Canon still called them good. have always heard 3-- was nin size to print but my Canon say's different/ I check quality of every one before I print them. Have to think Canon has developed something different to judge quality. What can I say, it Seem's to work well. Before the Pro 200 I had a Pixma Pro 9000 XL and it did not have that quality check. The Pro 9000 sold me on Canon printers.
 
Just went and looked at a 12x24 I did and my printer said it was best quality at 288MP's. This all gets confusing so I just either like what I get or don't print it.
 
Personally, I feel the process is incomplete if I don't print. I will only print the images I consider to be worth printing.
A digital photo is glanced at; a print is lived with. On paper, an image gains weight, scale, and permanence. It’s no longer competing with notifications or endless scrolling — it asks for attention and rewards it.
Printing also finishes the photograph. Choices about paper, size, and tone become part of the image, turning a file into an object. What was temporary becomes deliberate.
 
Last edited:
My Wife sells a lot of jewelry at the outdoor shows in the summertime, and since I sold my woodshop, I needed something to sell, so I print cards. I'll never get rich from this, but I might sell ten or twelve a day...

cards.webp
 
Ours are all over our house. We tend to print 2 or 3 a year, but some years none at all.. We also have some work from local artists on display. Some images are just too good to leave on the hard drive, where they will be ignored and forgotten.

We often run a slide show of our recent images on our 4k TV. After a period of time, some just stand out. Some one will say something like “I look forward to seeing that one.” or even “we should really print that one.” Some you get tired of seeing some of them. (Don’t print those.)

Starting with say 15,000 images some years, that gets narrowed down to between 80 and 200 for the year. Those go on TV display, and of those, as many as 3 might get printed.

The factors are, the more images I’ve taken that year, the more likely to have one I want on the wall. The more interesting the destinations I’ve gone to and the amount of time we spend there is also a factor. But bottom line, it takes time. I find it takes putting some time between when I took the image, and when I’m evaluating it is beneficial. It helps with objectivity. I need to decide, is it producing a slight endorphin rush because of the quality of the image, or is it doing so because of memory of the experience.

The article on the page gives a great overview of the mullet haircut and its various modern takes, showing why this retro cut has made a comeback in recent years. You can see how different lengths and textures make it adaptable for many styles, whether you want something bold or more understated. The team at Corte Vibe highlights trends, styling tips, and variations that help you decide what works best for your look in 2025. It is clear the mullet isn’t just nostalgic, it has become a statement haircut again. Worth checking out if you are curious about refreshing your style.
I mostly keep my photos digital these days. I’ll print a few special ones for framing or gifts, but most of my memories live on my devices or in cloud storage. A photo can definitely exist without being printed it’s still real, just in digital form.
 
I print, as mentioned by a few there is nothing like seeing your work in print. Viewing on a screen is simply not the same. Recently at work for fun our social committee organized a 2 hour craft/hobby day. you were to bring in whatever you do in your spare time as a hobby etc. I brought in about 20 photos from ranging from 13"X19" to 17"x25" they were absolutely amazed and asked who printed them. When i said i did that further added to the amazement. It made me feel great that others loved the shots.
 
Do you ever print your digital photos? Did a picture ever exist if it is never printed?
I printed a few ten years ago, but have never felt the need to print digital photos since.
A photo print speaks volumes, especially if the photographer has the proper skillset to adjust density, contrast, and color balance as needed to make the print "sing". I just sold my 42nd print. I MUST print my photos to watch them resonate properly when people can physically hold, view, and appreciate them.
 
I print occasionally, just to frame and hang around the house. I have a couple in my office. Nothing any larger that 16 x 20. That’s plenty big enough by the time I mat and frame it.

I used to print much more often, particularly my film years in the 1980s. As I’ve gotten older, I guess fewer friends to gift, no desire to share with coworkers, that sort of thing.

Really the only person who sees my stuff is a coworker who also happens to be a photographer. She also handles all the scanning of my old slides and negatives.
 
I print a few of my favorite flower photos. Mostly I print out photos of the grands. I have several albums just for them. They like seeing if I have any new when they visit. I print out large my composites and have those in a portfolio album. I make a Print folder yearly and rename to the date of when I actually print. I copy photos into this folder and then cull before sending to Mpix. Also, I wait until they have a sale. Sadly I didn't print the last 2 years! Getting things organized now to update.

The Grands see some of their photos online (mom's account) so to actually hold a photo is a novelty to them.

PhotoPrinting2024.webp
 
I print a few of my favorite flower photos. Mostly I print out photos of the grands. I have several albums just for them. They like seeing if I have any new when they visit. I print out large my composites and have those in a portfolio album. I make a Print folder yearly and rename to the date of when I actually print. I copy photos into this folder and then cull before sending to Mpix. Also, I wait until they have a sale. Sadly I didn't print the last 2 years! Getting things organized now to update.

The Grands see some of their photos online (mom's account) so to actually hold a photo is a novelty to them.

View attachment 294946
Nice thoughts. DO you give albums or framed pictures to your grands? I've found that's a great way of passing on your photos.

What kind of photo albums do you use and the rationale for those types?
 
Nice thoughts. DO you give albums or framed pictures to your grands? I've found that's a great way of passing on your photos.

What kind of photo albums do you use and the rationale for those types?
I have given them a few framed in the acrylic type L shaped frames. I get the small albums at Michael's. There are 2 photos per page with a space towards the spine to write a note. I first started with these small albums for tiny hands. They are growing now, but having several albums they can all be browsing at the same time. My photos are named by date & sequence number. Mpix prints the photo data on the back of the photos.

I have 2 storage HDs that I copy the photos and video. Both are the same. Printed out an index in Windows view of all the folders that are in the HD boxes. I have two other HDs of backups. Each an heir and a spare.

There are years of photos of the grands and I can't print them all. Usually just a few from each event. They will have my HDs sometime in the future. And then there are their little 3 minute video vignettes I've made over the years. The birthday videos are the most popular.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom