Do you ever?

I feel like that every day. There's a definite frustrating learning cycle with this obsession.
I'm headed back to school in the fall to finish my degree (after a 10 year sabbatical). My passion for learning photography has never been higher, I just hope it stays high amidst the crap I'm churning out.

YES! However, I cannot claim second experience of walking away feeling that I learned something every time.

I remember when the pictures were consistently good, and I long for those days. Since I am doing my own processing, there are many variables that seem to be working against me. Usually, it takes several months before I can look at a photo and observe a change or something that worked, although I could not see it when it first came out of the wash.

Even though I have others process my color film, the images lack that "Zing!". I know what it is I like and what I want to see again. So I keep trying.

Family members and friends like what I produce, but I don't.

Rusty Tripod

do you guys ever look at your photos, and just feel heartbroken at how bad you think they are? or look at old stuff and remember how every single time you picked up your camera and did a shoot you walked away a better photographer and were concious of it?

I mean heartbroken like real physicalesque pain deep down. i feel like i've been in such a rut lately . . . . just curious to see if you guys go through this.

Nope. Sorry.

On the other hand I do take the odd picture that gives me an orgasm when I look at it :lmao:

It is a battle for sure and will never end. Of course everyone feels it. One idea is to take action as opposed to discussing it. The more you dwell on it the worse it will get. During the summer I am extremely busy with my commercial and editorial work. When I have time off I do not even want to see a camera. A slight bummer, but I know that creativity is very demanding. If you force it; it will fail.

Putting the camera down works well for me. Looking at other mediums and visiting galleries is also a good remedy. Be strong man.

Love & Bass

yeah, galleries help me too. i would just about kill to go to a workshop or seminar right now, they have always been extremely good for a fresh look.

i'm about to make myself step it up a notch, enough putting the camera down, i'll run myself in the ground until i get back to the states.

Most reactions

Back