Do you keep all your images?

^^^^^^ aliens attack the earth :greenpbl:

I keep everything since I am just learning how to shoot, and how to photoshop. Sometime's I'll go through the old ones to see if i find something that, with the new shopping skills, I can bring back to life. 7961 files so far, got the camera in Febuary I think.

Best business indicates 3,
three copies, two media, one off site

I do 4 because I want to .... I don't keep any photos on my computer after doing what ever I decide to do.

Everyone is free to create their own workflow and process.

There is a growing trend in some areas that are suggestion 8 backup copies, 4 is tediuous enough, let alone 8 (at least for me)

Do you keep all your images?
No. I cull out all the the obvious missed focus, failed experiments, photographer error, blinked/moved in perfect sychronicity with the camera shutter, just didn't like how it turned out shots.

I make 4 copies, and I keep 2 off site, one of those sites being disaster proof, save a direct hit by a H-bomb, Earth-crossing asteroid or comet impact.

Film - I keep everything.

Digital - I have no problem trashing the bad ones.

I don't shoot much digital these days, but even when I was shooting digital a lot - I still deleted a lot. Stuff like missed focus, closed eyes, almost the same as a better shot - all that got deleted.

My personal rule of thumb was - would I print that? Anything that wasn't good enough to print got deleted.

I also keep 5 backups of everything. Blu Ray DVDs (LOVE THEM) and 2 external hard drives.

I only keep the one that I like, or can salvage. Missed focus is an automatic delete for me.

We don't have room to keep all our images so this is how we handle it. (We have 8 terabytes of space on my main computer, 3 on the backup, and numerous hot swap drives):

1. Put the RAW IMAGES on the Backup machine.
2. Transfer to the main machine.
3. Make three files: RAW, Noise, and Working Finals
4. After I cull the RAW images, I delete the RAW files on the Main (they are still on the backup)
5. I automate my noise files to the working finals file, then delete the noise file.
6. I complete my workup, then I burn the files to three discs. One for on site storage, one for off site storage, one for the client.
7. I keep the final files on my computer for one year. After that, I burn all that year to a hot swap drive, and put it in storage as well.

So basically, while I'm not keeping all my images, I'm backed up like 5 times on my final images.

I keep a copy on my hard drive, a copy on a online storage site and every couple of months I back up all photos on my HD and move em to CD's which I then make 2 copys and send one to my oldest dd and keep a copy in our safe deposit box at our bank.

I've become more cut-throat this year. Once the images are imported using Lightroom, I immediately cull the rubbish. Anything where the subject is (unintentionally) OOF, exposed so bad to be unrecoverable, poor facial expressions, boring, etc., they get cut on the first pass. I know by now what I like and what I don't. I also flag the good ones using the rating system. If there are multiple similar shots, I'll choose the preferred shot and bin the remainders mostly, but not always. Sometimes I need to return to the collection to make a final decision. This is where I use the color labels.

ditto

I keep the ones that are worthwile, I have gotten much better about deleteing and keeping my Mac's folders lean and clean.

I back up three ways at least....

...And I never erase photos from the cards at all. I label them and retain them with all the junk only to keep buying new cards for use. So yes, in the end I do keep them all. :peacesign:

Most reactions

Back