Do you know how to edit like this?

I have to say that I am a little puzzled by why you're playing with gradient maps, but probably I don't truly understand what they actually ARE. I don't see that anyone has suggested using them to solve this problem.

$MALLDISPLAY1new.jpg
Here is one of my image I tried it on I added blues to the shadows and then warmth to the face then desaturated a touch but if you compare them side by side the other picture almost looks pastel and mine is definitely missing a "tone" that I can not quite seem to figure out

I am not sure the exact way the photographer is editing, but I wanted to chime in and say that I think that image is amazing. I love the contour and depths in the faces. Very angelic.

No one here suggested them but when i first seen this image thats what I thought he used for the coloring...they are just a way to add different colors in your images in different spots quite simply

View attachment 60706
Here is one of my image I tried it on I added blues to the shadows and then warmth to the face then desaturated a touch but if you compare them side by side the other picture almost looks pastel and mine is definitely missing a "tone" that I can not quite seem to figure out

I think you need more green in the shadows and raise the black point quite a bit:

$MALLDISPLAY1new.jpg

In Lightroom I did the following:

Raised the Temp +10 (obviously I only had a jpeg, so not sure how much that is on your raw file).
Under "Tone" set Highlights to -50 and shadows to +50 to help simulate the soft flat light in the original photo. Raised the Whites to +15 and lowered Blacks to -60 to regain contrast.
Decreased Saturation to -20.
Under "Tone Curve" dragged the shadow end of the tone curve up to 9%.
Under "Split Toning" I set the shadows to Hue 168, Saturation 8 (pale bluish green).

FWIW I think your version is much better without the the effect you're looking to achieve. :thumbup:

I'm trying to learn about retouching so thought I'd have a stab at it. I'm not very experienced and only have photoshop cs2 at work which I'm not used to but for a quick attempt here's what I did. Applied frequency separation with more focus on softening than I'd usually do, added a dodge and burn layer to balance and add shape to light, added curves layer to increase contrast and control color, hue saturation layer to bring out lips & eyes then color fill layer set to browny orange hitting highlights.

$MALLDISPLAY1new.jpg

Most reactions

Back