Do you know how to edit like this?

Airbrush, dodge, and burn.

what about the tonality? and also the girl on the left she looks almost porcelein but not undersaturated?

They were probably wearing heavy makeup to start, then careful posed, with a lot of attention in the lighting, and a beautiful picture was taken.

Then some ******* decided to bring the photo into photoshop where their faces were airbrushed and smoothed, and lips distorted so they don't even look human anymore, but then got tired and left all the "imperfections" on the necks/arms/chests...

Oh my.........this forum is soo helpful...... Seriously I asked a question not opinions. There is a tonality in this picture that I am trying to recreate along with the tone in their skin. If you can help please comment

For the tone, look into cross-processing or split-toning.

The skin was heavily retouched in photoshop. Search youtube for examples of skin smooth techniques.

Really good lighting helped with this as well.

Never done it but the liquify tool and process would be one to look into and search on. It's one I've heard often being used for the smooth like porcelain or plastic effect. You might also get luck in searching for things like "overdone/doll/plastic" effects as many often consider the amount of editing done in the example shot to be "too much".

It looks to me like, apart from the skin smoothing done on the faces, there's some sort of curves adjustment or equivalent in play.

The darks look darker and the lights look lighter, and there's quite a bit of contrast in the midtones on the faces. You can accomplish this a bunch of ways. Curves, burning and dodging, large-radius unsharp mask, all of these will create a more of less similar look.

The faces also strike me as radically warmed up.

This is a little of all of the above:

$mids.jpg

applied to this:

$orig.jpg

Last edited:
Or with a prettier model. No skin smoothing here.

Curves to push highlights up/darks down/contrast->midtones.
Unsharp mask at 20% radius 60 (ETA: But try different radiuses, it depends on how big your picture is)
Some burning and dodging to sculpt her fat lil face.

Desaturate moderately.

Mask so the contrast adjustments are mostly on the face, to duplicate hacktastic nature of original, and also to show the differences.

$mids.jpg

I find the result moderately creepy, but I think she's cute enough to pull it off.

Last edited:
this lighting seems to get it close:

and yeah children make it easy:

Peekaboo Balloon by The Braineack, on Flickr

I ran this through Portraiture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I imagine it has to do with the styling, and then A LOT of Photoshop. Airbrushing, liquifying. I think to get the tones they probably brought the vibrance down a bit as well and used color balance to take out some of the red.

Personally, I do think that it looks a little disconcerting. The faces look like porcelain or like paintings, but then the photographer didn't really do much to the skin below the neck so their hands look more like a photograph. It's like some sort of weird digital art/photography hybrid.

- lighting and makeup for beauty shots. flat light without shadows
- making all little imperfections in the skin (i mean face) go away. bags under eyes, zits, wrinkles... with clone tool in lighten mode and lower opacity and patch tool
- imagenomic portraiture or some other separate plugin for skin smoothing
- white brush, skin tone brush, dark brush, all in separate layers in soft light blending mode, to manually carve cheeks and bones structure. Play with layers opacities
- liquify all over the place
- after all this, the last thing is a porcelan skin... you have to find a proper combination of desaturating red, orange and yellow for each persons skin tone

all I wrote is for faces. He/she probably got tired and didn't do much for the rest of the body. necks f.e. need some serious liquify and cloning.

I don't know what your skills are in PS but I hope you'll manage to practice what I've said. I didn't give details but if you have something to ask I'll explain a bit more

Last edited:
Everything everyone has said I know how to do.....But I can not recreate the coloring in this photo. To me it looks warm and cool at the same time?? And also has a slight pastel tone to it? I have tried gradient map after gradient map to try and figure this out and just cant. I know his style is very specific but I personally absolutely love this picture and these colors.

Each of the three faces has a somewhat different color palette. The leftmost is a little cool, the other two are warmer, but I think still with slightly different white balances.

The whole picture appears to be somewhat desaturated, which may be where that feeling of "but it also looks cool" is coming from.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back