Do you pack your tripod?

skywalkerbeth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sigh.

I bought a really nice, lightweight travel tripod (Gitzo). I'm heading to Europe with my Mom for 16 nights and I'm finding I'm really running out of room with TWO suitcases (one 18 inch carryon, one 22 inch...).

Even though I bought this specifically for traveling, I'm debating if I should take it on this trip. I'll be with my Mom, I definitely won't be carrying it during the daytime/sightseeing and if anything I'd just take it out on the occasional evening. We will be in the Alps - so Munich will be the largest city on the entire trip. It would be nice to have great sunset shots though...

I've yet to take a tripod on a trip (other than my little tabletop one...). Will I regret it, do you think?

Absolutely, you will not regret it.

Well, two suitcases for 16 days (in summertime) is completely over the top, of course. Cut it in half! They can do your laundry in Europe, you know...
And you'll have plenty room for your tripod.

we are going to be up high in the Alps (colder) and also sea level (summer temps). we are basically packing for two trips. not to mention some hiking gear (minimal, but nonetheless - shoes and a small daypack take up room...)

pack it!

and get adresses and mobile numbers of us European TPF members :p

Even above the snowline it's bikini weather in the Alps in summertime. Better take extra deodorant instead of a sweater...

Scenes like that make me glad that I'm a D.O.M.

I would or I would get a monopod fore the trip. Those 2 pics look like here in the west in the spring, when we have enough snow left.

I'm going to Utah in a week and a half and I am taking my tripod, and it's not light. I will put it in my checked bag. Why miss a great shot because you didn't want to drag along this one (important) part of your gear.

I lugged a full size tripod that weighs 8-10 lbs around on a three week trip. I think I could've gotten by with a smaller table-top tripod and gotten creative with things to set it on and been quite a bit better off. If I would have just had a lighter tripod I would have been happier. Lugging around a heavy one in any sort of heat gets old very fast.

Take it with you, but definately use it for those sunsets.

I'm going to Utah in a week and a half and I am taking my tripod, and it's not light. I will put it in my checked bag. Why miss a great shot because you didn't want to drag along this one (important) part of your gear.

For some reason i feel like you are not going to see scenes like those two pictures in Utah... This is unfortunate, isn't it?

When I travel, I pack a minimun of 2 tripods (a travelpod for the off camera flash or the videocam and a medium strength tripod for the camera... 1 serves as light stand when not using the videocam). ;)

This next trip I forsee myself with a minimum of 1 big tripod and 2 lightstands along with the travelpod becuase I am adding a second SB-800 to the list. :D

Anytime I carry the bigger/heavier lenses, I go for the big/heavy tripod. The last thing I want is several thousand dollars of camera and lens falling into something hard like a cement surface. The thought alone makes me shudder!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back