do you read music?

DramaDork626

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dramadork626.deviantart.com
This was taken with my Olympus digital camera. Model X100, D540Z, C310Z. Shutter Speed 10/60 second. Focal Length 6mm, ISO Speed 100. Image Size is 43.7 kb. Resolution 500 x 379. Done with no flash. I didn't do anything to change it in Gimp cuz I liked it the way it was. They were taken in my grandmother's living room because she has a whole bunch of cute settings in there, sincluding this one. She is very creative. When looking at this I sort of see an image of something a composer would leave on his coffee table.
Critiques are encourage because I would like input as to how it looks. Is it pleasing to the eye? Does it leave an impression? And so on...
glasses2.jpg

glasses.jpg

Being a music fan and an amateur musician myself I am particularly attracted to this shot. I like the first rather than the second because its a bit less cluttered. It makes me think of Jazz and early Juke Joints. The composition is very nice and you have a great DOF on both pics. These are nice examples and to me they show you took the time and care to compose the shots. Nice work.

DramaDork626 said:
This was taken with my Olympus digital camera. Model X100, D540Z, C310Z. Shutter Speed 10/60 second. Focal Length 6mm,

This some sort of joke ??

or perhaps a typo

How do you take two pictures with three cameras with unusual settings like shutter speed 10/60 and 6mm focal length.

Sorry to seem picky, but !!

I like the first one. I wish there wasn't that (?) over in the far top left corner. My eye is kinda drawn to it because I can't figure out what it is. Overall though I really like the first shot. The colors are so nice and the way you have arranged things, to me, is very interesting, almost comforting. (Reminds me of my dad).
I don't care for the second shot nearly as much. There's too much stuff and the dof seems a bit off. I'm probably not explaining that right.
But the first shot, again, is very very nice.

Rod-UK said:
How do you take two pictures with three cameras with unusual settings like shutter speed 10/60 and 6mm focal length.

Sorry to seem picky, but !!

same here... especially the focal length of 6mm... maybe 60mm?? While I get that 10/60 is the same as 1/6 ... BUT...

The first is my favorite. The DOF and composition is done very well, and in my case I prefer the item in the upper left. I don't know what it is, however when visualizing what it would be without I think something there is necessary.

As for the second shot, the DOF is an interesting subject. The early notes are out of focus, however the stuff in the background clutter seems to be in focus. I would have prefered a shallower DOF to make the background quite a bit more out of focus. WIth it so clear in the shot it is very distracting and really appears to be cluttered. Either way I do prefer the angle of the composition of the first shot over the second shot.

THe first image does allow the viewer to put some thought into what the image is. It is a great thing to keep the viewer engaged in the photo. It also leaves an impression of creativity or perhaps intellectualism.

Very nice job.

The DOF is interesting in the second shot, but they are both a little cluttered for me.

You said:

Shutter Speed 10/60 second. Focal Length 6mm

perhaps a zero got put in the wrong spot? 1/60 and 60mm ?

The exif information for lots of cameras will add zeros. It's probably 1/6 of a second, and on a point and shoot, the lenses are that small, that 6mm is probably correct. When compared to the size of the sensor, it proabably has a 35mm equivalent of 50mm or so. I have an old Olympus Penn rangefinder that has an 8mm lens on it. Each shot is 1/2 of a 35mm negative though.

Anyways, back on track. I like the first shot best. There is no distracting background in it, and it just focuses on the key elements. It really does look like something you would see on a composer's table, right next to his piano.

Like most here, I also prefer the first over the second because it is clearer, more transparent, less cluttered.
What has bugged me ever since I've first seen these is that the glasses have no glass.
And I have forever been wondering what this is? A preludio by Bach?

It looks like piano sheet music, and it definitely is not jazz... that much I read.

(Sorry, my critique usually is like this, I could never join in on the technical aspects of things, I understand next to nothing about that).

you know what, thats fine. I need to know other points of view besides the technical ones. That right, the glasses do not have lenses in them. These are a set up on my grandmothers side of the house. Im not sure what the piece is, i didnt look.

I like the first picture better. Nice composition, exposure.

Steve

Probably wouldn't look very good but what if you used PS to slightly blur all the notes that are not shown through the glasses? (or vice versa =p)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back