Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters

slackercruster

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do you shoot film, digital or both?

(This is not a debate of whether one medium is better or not. Just interested in knowing where things stand in this day and age.)

I wish film weren't such a hassle any more. it is not worth the trouble for color prints.

I would do it for B&W prints, and finding labs that print B&W is getting difficult and expensive. It's mail order only now. My digital shots converted to B&W do not have nearly the richness and tonal range that B&W film has, but it is not worse enough to make it worth the trouble. Lazy, I know, but that's the reality.

I shot 50/50 about four years ago but now almost exclusive digital. Why? Local shops closed for supplies and digital is just so much more convenient to fit in a busy schedule. I still have rolls unprocessed because of no time to work them in the darkroom. I miss it actually but I like seeing prints sooner than later even better

I shoot mostly film. I develop and scan it myself (color and b&w) Mostly because the cameras I like to use take film..

Digital, I'm WAY too lazy to be a real photographer.

Last edited:
When digital processing first became available, digital cameras were much too expensive, so I bought a film scanner and PS and scanned the negatives that I normally would have printed in the darkroom. A few years later when digital cameras improved and came down in price I had no reason to shoot film any longer. I used to miss the darkroom a little, even though digital processing was not as labor intensive (and easier on the hands!), but now I don't any more. I think the same or better quality is attainable in digital prints. There are of course some qualities of a silver print that are difficult to reproduce exactly in a digital print, but the digital is better in some ways (remember film grain?).

I shoot mostly film. I develop and scan it myself (color and b&w) Mostly because the cameras I like to use take film..

Are you having any trouble getting chemicals or paper? Is it a pretty steady supply?

I shoot much more film than digital, by a long shot. Digital is just too much of a hassle most of the time.

Sw1tchFX said:
I shoot much more film than digital, by a long shot. Digital is just too much of a hassle most of the time.

How is digital a hassle?

99.5% digital, then i shoot a little film through these when playing

309636_2328215639456_1071635590_2515846_1237054439_n.jpg

310784_2328214599430_1071635590_2515840_1462448269_n.jpg

390936_2328215479452_1071635590_2515845_1049542231_n.jpg

Digital.

Also I can't believe that guy says It's a hassle.!!??

On clic on the iPhone. Another clic in Facebook app. Picture just shared with the world. No hassle.

Lightroom 3 with 1 click will upload your pic to Facebook, twitter, flickr, photobucket, and any custom host web site you may want to enter...and add your comment under it automatically too =)

I sold all my film gear years ago. Spent 5-6 years without ever taking a pix. Picked up a P&S for documenting job sites, and went right into a DSLR.

Nothing against film, as I'm sure there's plenty of adherents and aficionados, but it just ain't my thing no more.

Are you having any trouble getting chemicals or paper? Is it a pretty steady supply?

No. I live a few blocks from freestyle photo. They're always stocked.

Sw1tchFX said:

How is digital a hassle?

I can understand what he means. (or my interpretation of it anyway) I want my pics to look a certain way. Film gives me that look without trying to get it right in post processing. Plus I don't have to worry as much about blown highlights. I don't have to worry about hard drive space and making multiple backups.. etc. As much as I try to avoid it, I always end up taking waaayyy too many pics when i'm shooting with my digital cameras, which means more post processing later than if i'd just shot 36 shots of film and chose my shots more wisely, which is a hassle.

Last edited:
Mamiya RB67 + Acros 100 + Rodinal (1+100, 18 minutes at 68°F) is my weapon of choice for anything serious. Efke R50 is another favorite film.

My DSLRs only saw use for video work and snapshots. Now I have an Olympus PEN for that.

Most reactions

Back